First-year offers advice for fellow classmates

A strong-willed, able-bodied, sharp-minded woman–my mother–once gave me this piece of advice; that “when life gives you the opportunity to stand in the corner, or go out on the floor and dance, I hope that you always choose to dance.”

Transition is hard. Whether it’s from the east coast to west coast, or even just 2 percent to skim milk, change can be as stressful and trying as it is exciting. College is no exception.

As much as freshmen try to deny it, this isn’t high school any more, and it certainly isn’t all fun and games.

Sure, we still go to class, take notes, waste time on Facebook and stay up later than we probably should, but the fact is, we aren’t in the same environment facing the same challenges we were a month ago. It’s intimidating. The adjustment from being big-fish high school seniors to being the new guy getting lost for 40 minutes on his way to the Dedman Center isn’t an easy one. No one likes to be at the bottom, but we have to start somewhere.

For me, the hardest part of the change has been getting to know new people. We’ve been thrust into a whole new environment with an entirely new cast of characters in our lives, and it isn’t exactly a cake walk. How do you start such an important task from scratch, and how do you know where to even look? Maybe it’s different where you’re from, but I’ve met very few people who form life-long friendships by stopping random people on the street and inviting them to dinner. More likely, that’s a way to get yourself some awkward stares and a referral to the Health Center.

That’s where my mom’s advice comes in. The truth is, people don’t bond because of random chance, they do so because of common interest. It could be as simple as living on the same hall, or as obscure as sharing an obsession with ABBA. Whatever it is, find a place where you can connect with people who have the same hobbies or views that you do. Maybe you stick with what you were good at in high school, and become a part of the championship intramural basketball team. Maybe you try something you’ve never even dreamed of before, and discover just how much you love western dance. The possibilities are limitless, and our campus is filled with literally hundreds of organizations, each one eager for new talent and new friends.

The advice that my mother gave me is the same wish that I have for the class of 2015. To stay true to yourself, but embrace change and try something new. Meet new people, share new ideas, and always choose to stand up, get on the floor, and dance the College Shuffle.

Cody Barras is a freshman majoring in English with a minor in theatre studies. He can be reached for comment at [email protected].