Our paranoia is out of hand

I am a dog person. Unashamedly. If my landlady hadn’t snuck into my lease that I wasn’t allowed to have a pet, I would probably have anywhere from one to three dogs palling around my condo as we speak.

So, when I was driving down University to school on Monday and I saw a Chihuahua, sans-collar, run out into the street amidst a flurry of cars, I immediately pulled over, put on my flashers, and ran into the street to rescue it.

After darting around a few vehicles and leaping over a puddle, I successfully grabbed up the little animal and carried him to the sidewalk. Upon making it to the sidewalk, I heard, “WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH MY DOG?”

I turned around, only to find an angry and confused looking elderly woman who, it turns out, believed me to be stealing her prized pooch. I attempted to explain that it had run out into the street and I had saved it, but she would have none of it. She grabbed her dog, turned, and walked back into her home without a word of thanks.

After driving back to school and processing the bizarre event that had just occurred, I realized an interesting trend that seems to be taking over: We never assume anyone has good intentions. In the absence of a defined explanation for someone’s behavior, we always assume that their motivation was to cause harm.

When someone smiles at you in line at the grocery store, you furrow your brow and look away, thinking, “Why is that creep smiling at me?” Or you take a quick glance down at your clothing to see if you may have spilled that sample of juice you got on aisle three all over your white shirt.

If someone goes a step further and actually says the word “hello,” you are certain he must be after you. I mean, why would anyone just say “hello”? He must want to throw you into his trunk.

And if you leave your book in class, and someone takes the time to look your name up on Webmail, e-mail you and meet you to give it back, then they must have been watching you from across the room from the beginning of the year and stole your book so they could meet you, right?

We have become paranoid. We watch the news at night and become convinced that everyone is a rapist, murder or a kleptomaniac. And if anyone we are not on a first-name basis with even seems to acknowledge your presence, then they are out to get you.

When did this happen? Why can’t I bring my neighbor cookies without him wondering whether or not I drugged them? Why can’t I wave at someone who looks like they are having a bad day without them darting their eyes around, wondering why I’m waving at them? Why can’t I save an old woman’s dog without being accused of being a dog-napper?

A good dose of skepticism is healthy, don’t get me wrong. Don’t go accepting candy from a man driving a white van or anything, but I mean, let’s get real. What is the likelihood that the man who just said “hello” wants to kidnap you? Probably pretty slim. What’s the likelihood that he thinks you’re a jerk for looking at him like he just flipped you the bird? Probably pretty high.

I think we all just need to get over ourselves. Sure, maybe .1 percent of people living in Dallas have ulterior motives for greeting you at the laundry mat, but you are really not so awesome that people are constantly out to get you, your dog and all of your things.

So, next time you are walking home and your neighbor down the way says “hi,” maybe you should just say “hello” back. If you are feeling outgoing, maybe ask him how he’s doing. And next time a college student runs out into traffic to grab your helpless dog, maybe just say thanks.  

Jessica Huseman is editor-in-chief of The Daily Campus. She can be reached for comment at [email protected].