Mustangs stampede over competition at track and field competition

The SMU track and field team showcased a strong performance in their second meet of the year at the J.D. Martin Invitational in Norman, Okla. Saturday.

The Mustangs competed well in sprints, distance and throwing events in the Mosier Indoor Facility against a field that included the host team Oklahoma as well as Oklahoma State, Tulsa, North Texas, UT Arlington and Oral Roberts.

Houston natives Amber Evans and Isis Wilson picked up where they left off last weekend when they topped the standings in the 200-meter dash at the Texas Tech Invitational, finishing first and second, respectively.

On Saturday, Evans took first in the 400-meter dash with a time of 56.88 while Wilson finished fourth with a time of 58.73. Freshman Maresha Carrie (1:02.60) also contributed a ninth place finish in the sprint for the Mustangs.

Just one week removed from her NCAA Championships qualifying throw, which earned her Conference USA Athlete of the Week, Simone du Toit had another impressive outing in the Shot Put event. Du Toit finished second with a throw of 17.31m, just behind Oklahoma’s Karen Shump who finished first with a throw of 17.34m.

SMU dominated the one mile run with the top two finishers. Senior All- American Silje Fjortoft captured first with a time of 4:56.66. Sophomore Klara Bodinson took second with a time of 4:59.85. The Sweden native also finished second in the one mile run last weekend.

In other distance events, sophomore Mary Allenbratt (2:54.67) took second in the 1000-meter run while teammates Monika Korra (10:39.31) and Stephanie Wright (11:29.40) claimed first and second in the 3000-meter run.

In the high jump event, Lisa Egarter cleared 1.70m en route to a third place finish. Teammate Valerie Lindenmuth tied for seventh after clearing 1.55m. Junior Ayla Gill won the weight throw with an 18.30 meter toss, which beat her 18.18 meter throw in last week’s second place performance. Gill also finished second in the shot put event.