Mustangs add two more wins over Tulsa and Oral Roberts

This past Saturday, SMU women’s tennis team experienced success in both of their matches, beating both Tulsa University and Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Okla.

The Mustangs came into the weekend ranked No. 25 in the nation and improved their record to 7-1 for the season. SMU’s sole loss this season came against Florida International University last weekend.

Saturday started off with a 4-3 match win, against the Golden Hurricane at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center. After more than four hours of play, SMU pulled off the win against the No. 35 ranked team, when No. 2 singles player Aleksandra Malyarchikova defeated Tulsa’s JoAnne Karaitiana in a three-set tiebreaker.

Head coach Lauren Longbotham-Meisner told smumustangs.com, “Sasha [Malyarchikova] had an incredibly hard match and I am proud of how she closed out the win for us.”
Later in the day, SMU beat Oral Roberts, 6-0, in a match that lasted a mere, but 45 minutes.

The match consisted of six singles matches that were all won in straight sets.

“The first match [against Tulsa] was so tough and we knew it wasn’t going to be easy,” captain Marta Lesniak said to smumustangs.com. “We started slowly, but we came out with a tough win and I am proud of the way the team handled adversity today. To also beat ORU to improve 7-1 on the season is good. It doesn’t matter how we won today, just that we came away with two wins.”