SMU set to take on Arkansas Pine Bluff

The loss to TCU served as a wakeup call for the Ponies. After a shaky 0-2 start to the season, the SMU women’s basketball team has righted the ship and rattled off three consecutive wins against UT-San Antonio, Arkansas State and Akron.

In their three straight wins, SMU is averaging 77 points per game, and their defense is only giving up an average of 64 points to their opponents.

SMU hosted the Hoops for the Cure Tournament over the Thanksgiving weekend. The Mustangs kicked off their tournament by playing Arkansas State Friday night. SMU needed double overtime to overcome their opponent’s 86-80 in a high scoring affair.

The Ponies were on the brink of losing the contest during regulation when they fell behind by as many as 19 points during the second half.

After the Mustangs rallied for a dramatic comeback to force an overtime, they again needed to come from behind in the first overtime period.

Down by three with seconds left on the clock, junior guard Samantha Mahnesmith banked in a shot from behind the three point line to tie the game up and force a second overtime period.

The Ponies did not wait around in the second period for Arkansas State to gain control of the scoreboard again.

Instead, SMU took command early and extended the lead to six points to take a commanding two possession lead with little time left on the clock.

Arkansas State was unable to battle back, and SMU earned an important tournament victory.

On short rest, SMU took to the court again the next day at Moody Coliseum to face off against the Akron Zips for the Hoops for the Cure championship game.

The Zips fell victim to a well-rounded SMU attack that featured five girls scoring in double figures.

Sophomore guard Alisha Filmore led with 18 points. Delisha Wills had an equally impressive game; she recorded her second consecutive double double with 12 boards and 11 points.

It was the second consecutive game in which the senior managed to record a double double for her team.

Her efforts throughout the weekend were rewarded when she was named to the all-tournament team.

Wills’ dominance in the paint and the high-powered scoring attack by SMU proved to be too much for Akron to handle.

SMU cruised to a 75-67 victory and celebrateed the victory and successful tournament on their own court in front of the hometown Mustang supporters.

SMU returns to action this Wednesday against Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

The Mustangs look to gain another win against a weaker Arkansas team that has endured big losses to both Marquette and Arkansas State.

The Lady Lions are led by 6-1 forward Jasmine Abrams, who is averaging 13.3 points and 6.3 rebounds per game.

Abrams is a second year starter for Arkansas Pine Bluff. Last year she was awarded SWAC newcomer of the year after averaging over 10 points per contest.

With a new sense of confidence and a three game winning streak, the Mustangs hope to ride their momentum all the way to conference play.

SMU has a tough road ahead of them with a non-conference schedule that includes the University of Kansas, UT-Austin, University Nevada Las Vegas and Wake Forest.