SMU get BCS bowl eligibility

SMU has fulfilled their goal to join a Bowl Championship Series Automatic Qualifier (BCS AQ) conference with SMU Athletics joining the Big East in all sports.

Along with SMU, the University of Central Florida and Houston will join the Big East in all sports while Boise State and San Diego will be members bound by football only. SMU, UCF and Houston will begin competing in the Big East beginning in the 2013-2014 academic school year.

SMU takes part of conference realignment along with many other schools across the country including Texas A&M’s move from the Big 12 to the SEC, West Virginia’s move into the Big 12 as well as Missouri to the SEC.

Following conference realignment this past season was similar to trying to sort marbles while blindfolded—impossible.

The 2013 Big East conference will not have east and west divisions until they reach a 12-team football conference. Returning to the BIG EAST will be Connecticut, Cincinnati, Louisville, Rutgers and South Florida. Joining them will be Boise State, San Diego State, Houston UCF and SMU.

The Big East has been courting Air Force and Navy as football members only, however both schools have yet to commit. Many believe Navy, currently a football independent, has yet to join due to “loose ends”, but is expected to join.

The possible addition of Navy and Air Force could come as late as 2014 or 2015 because of scheduling logistics.

The new additions to the Big East will benefit the conference greatly in television as well as football.

Boise State having one of the most successful programs in the nation the last few years going 72-6 over the last five seasons will add credibility.

Houston adds to the mix having gone to a bowl game six of the last seven seasons.

Closest to home, SMU has gone to three straight bowl games, leaving as champions twice, most recently in their win over former Big East member Pitt.

Several studies rank Houston’s television market between sixth and tenth in the nation.

Above Houston, Dallas is the fifth-largest TV market and UCF, located in Orlando is somewhere between the 18th and 20th largest television market.

These rankings give the Big East and its members more interaction with fans and viewers across the country ultimately helping income.