Mustangs defeat Tulsa 3-2 in last game of season

Junior+libero+Susan+Lewis+serves+the+ball+during+a+match+against+Memphis+in+Moody+Coliseum.+
Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
Junior libero Susan Lewis serves the ball during a match against Memphis in Moody Coliseum.

Junior libero Susan Lewis serves the ball during a match against Memphis in Moody Coliseum. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

The SMU volleyball team celebrated senior day with a victory against the Tulsa Golden Hurricane with a 3-2 score.

The Mustangs gave Tulsa both of their conference losses for the season; the first one was on Oct. 5 and ended 3-1.

Senior outside hitters Jessica Oliver and Dana Powell led SMU offensively with 17 kills from Oliver and 10 from Powell, all which led to a win in the first set with a 25-19 score. Tulsa responded by taking the second set, 25-20, and the third set, 25-11. SMU put up a fight and did not let the Golden Hurricane take the victory home.

The Mustangs took an early 5-1 lead at the start of the fourth set. SMU went on to dominate the fourth set and won 25-8, forcing the match to a fifth set.

SMU started off winning the set until Tulsa took the lead at 6-5. The Mustangs bounced right back to take the lead once more, prohibiting the Golden Hurricane from a holding a lead.

Tulsa was tied the score four times, up until 12-12.

Freshman outside hitter Caroline Young found the last point with a kill to end the set at 15-12, earning the Mustangs one last victory for the regular season.

The Mustangs ended the season with an overall record of 15-17 and conference record at 11-9, while the Golden Hurricane dropped to an overall record of 27-6 and a conference record of 18-2.