Sixteen favorite Southern summer foods

Tillman’s Roadhouse

(Tillman’s Roadhouse)

1. Milkshakes

Formerly known as Highland Park Pharmacy, the Highland Park Soda Shop exudes nostalgic charm. In business since 1912, the restaurant has made few changes over the years – a remarkable feat for a Dallas business.

Though they serve a wide selection of sandwiches and soups, the real draw is the Soda Shop’s old-fashioned milkshakes. All the traditional flavors are available, as are pineapple, cherry and butterscotch. For a reasonable $4, you can walk in, grab a seat at the counter and enjoy a sweet and creamy milkshake served in a cold, frosted glass.

2. Hot Dogs

This whimsically decorated venue has crafted nine signature hot dogs that are sure to please. In addition to being reasonably priced at roughly $5 a dog, Harry’s is good about offering options. For 80 cents you can upgrade a regular hot dog to a jumbo dog, veggie dog or polish sausage.

One of their most popular items is the Knox Street dog. Frequently compared to In-N-Out’s animal-style items, this unique dog is served with thousand island dressing, sauerkraut, and swiss cheese. For the less adventurous, all of the traditional toppings are available as well.

3. Lemonade cake

Citrus and summer is one of those timeless combinations that everyone puts their own spin on. Bread Winner’s Cafe and Bakery makes a dessert that perfectly utilizes this flavor combo.

Their lemonade cake is delightfully indulgent without being too heavy or over-the-top sweet. Not all of their cakes are available everyday however, so if you’re really craving a slice, be sure to call ahead and verify.

4. Iced coffee

Once called Urban Dog Coffee, Oak Lawn Coffee got a makeover last September. A lot of changes were made, including the addition of a bold sign on their exterior proclaiming themselves the makers of Dallas’ best iced coffee.
Additionally, Oak Lawn Coffee offers a shaken espresso drink that is definitely worth trying. Prepared by using a martini shaker, this cold, frothy beverage is a must-have for a hot summer day.

5. Strawberry popovers

The Dream Cafe has a lot going for it – a delightfully eclectic atmosphere and tasty food. Arguably one of the best items on their menu though, are their popovers.

These lighter than air, hollow rolls are baked to perfection and served with whipped strawberry butter. Though listed as an appetizer, no one will judge you if make them your meal.

6. Snow cones

Chip’s Old Fashioned Hamburgers has been around long enough that they’re practically part of the landscape. Nestled in right before Lovers Lane reaches the tollroad, the restaurant is easy to overlook.

It’s worth the stop though – not only do they make a fantastic burger, but they also serve up a great snow cone. You won’t find any mention of snow cones on the menu, but rest assured – they’re there. On a warm day, the children of Highland Park flock to Chip’s for the cold, refreshing treats. Follow their example, embrace your inner-child, and go treat yourself to some sweet shaved ice.

7. Raspberry lemonade

Nothing hits the spot better on a hot day than a cold, tart and sweet glass of lemonade. Why else would America’s child entrepreneurs stand on the sidewalk selling the stuff when the temperature is in the triple digits?

For a twist on the beverage that’s better than anything you’ll get at a roadside stand, head on over to Eatzi’s. Their raspberry lemonade is everything you love about traditional lemonade, but with an added dimension of fruity sweetness.

8. Grilled fish tacos

Conveniently close to campus, Dive Coastal Cuisine is the quintessential summer restaurant. A must-have on their menu is the Del Mar tacos. For $12 you get your pick of three tacos served on soft corn tortillas. Choices include three “land” and three “sea” meats, but the best and most refreshing option is the soy ginger lime grilled fish. Order whatever you like for your other two tacos, but make sure you get a least one of the grilled fish.

9. S’mores

It’s not summer unless you have a bonfire and make s’mores. Since Dallas isn’t the best city for bonfire making, Tillman’s Roadhouse in Oak Cliff has filled the void.

For $16 you get a tabletop “firepit” and a spread of cinnamon graham crackers, dark chocolate, and an assortment of three flavors of marshmallows. The marshmallow flavors change periodically, but have included unique options such as blackberry, coffee, maple, peppermint and orange.

10. Lemonade cupcakes

Just to be sure that we cover our bases on lemonade in every way, shape, and form, make sure to put The Cupcakery’s Strawberry Lemonade cupcake on your summer sweets list.

Zesty lemon cake baked with fresh strawberry puree and topped with strawberry cream cheese frosting creates the perfect blend of tangy and sweet. For a cupcake, they’re not cheap at $3.50 a pop, but it’s summer. Go a little crazy.

11. Mango water

Urban Taco offers a very diverse array of alcoholic beverages, but the real gem of their drink menu is the mango water.

Falling somewhere between a juice and a flavor infused water – this drink is light and refreshing, but has all the love of biting into a perfectly ripe menu. In short, it’s the perfect compliment to any meal.

12. Picnic food

By July it will probably be too hot to even entertain the idea of dining outdoors, but while the weather is still relatively mild, plan a picnic.Beyond the Box, located in downtown, offers both hot and cold on-the-go dining options. Salads, sandwiches, wraps, pastas and other such dishes are perfect for packing up and enjoying in the fresh summer air.

13. Key lime pie

Even though key lime pie is believed to have originated in Key West, Fla., Cajun and seafood restaurants seem to prepare
the dish remarkably well.

In particular, Half-Shells Oyster Bar & Grill in Snider Plaza serves a slice worth mentioning. For $5 you can snag a piece of this cool, citrusy favorite that also happens to be within walking distance of campus.

14. Barbecue

Mike Anderson’s BBQ House in Oak Lawn is considered by many to be the best barbecue joint in Dallas.

Their meats are tender, smokey, and not overpriced.

A word of warning though – the place gets packed around lunch time, so plan on going during off hours or brace yourself for a wait.

15. Guacamole

You might think guacamole is one of those dishes that is so basic, it’s hard to mess up.

Unfortunately, it’s easier than you’d think. Mi Cocina, however, knows how it’s done.

Their guacamole is fresh, delicious, and served in generous portions without deceiving fillers.

At their location in Highland Park Village you can get a huge serving, large enough to share, for about $10.

16. Blueberries

You may be able to find blueberries year-round, but they’re in season in the summer, which is when you’ll find the most flavorful pickings.

In celebration of the season, try them in Rex’s Seafood Market’s blueberry pie.

Located at Lovers and Inwood, this restaurant loads their pie full of fresh blueberries.

You’ll never want a winter-blueberry again.