Football hosts annual spring scrimmage at Ford Stadium

The SMU football team invited the community to their last practice and scrimmage of spring football before heading into the off-season on Saturday.

The team gathered at the stadium around 10 a.m. for warm-ups while many in the stands took part in a massive SMU merchandise sale. Fans left the scrimmage today with real, game-worn and bowl game jerseys. The switch, made public this year, from Adidas to Nike means new jerseys and SMU gear.

The practice started promptly around 11a.m. with seven-on-seven drills and a blitz pickup practice before going into the live scrimmage at noon.

The scrimmage, lasting under an hour, allowed for repetitions at every position. The team did practice in pads however, some only sported shoulder pads and athletic shorts. Tackling was also held to a minimum to prevent injuries.

Recruits, many commits, lined the sidelines as they watched what could be their next team. Among those watching from the field was incoming transfer quarterback Garrett Gilbert.

One of the biggest questions going into the 2012 season is who will be taking the snaps this fall. Gilbert, transferring from Texas, is expected to take the starting position. Yet, Stephen Kaiser and Conner Preston are also in the competition for the starting spot. Both Kaiser and Preston were suited up and playing during the scrimmage.

As for Gilbert, he will be eligible to start practicing in June upon graduating from the University of Texas.

“I had a great time just getting to know people. The team looked great and it was really fun being out there. I look forward to being a part of it.” said Gilbert, who took a more relaxed role of spectating in the scrimmage.

Unlike many universities, SMU does not promote the spring scrimmage as an event but more as a practice open to the public. Around five hundred spectators turned out to get a taste of football before September, leaving fans excited for the upcoming season.

Now the team, like the rest of the student body, will head into finals and start the off-season with summer classes, running and lifting before training camp in August.

SMU will kick off the 2012 season traveling I-35 Southbound to Waco to play Baylor University for the season opener.