Mustangs defeat Owls, 42-31

Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Galante
Senior defensive back Sterling Moore holds the Mayor’s Cup as the football team celebrates a victory over Rice, Saturday evening at Rice Stadium in Houston. SMU won the game 42-31.

Senior defensive back Sterling Moore holds the Mayor’s Cup as the football team celebrates a victory over Rice, Saturday evening at Rice Stadium in Houston. SMU won the game 42-31. (Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Galante)

By EJ HOLLAND

Associate Sports Editor

[email protected]

The Mustangs snapped a 10-game road losing streak to Rice with a 42-31 victory over the Owls on Saturday evening.

“It wasn’t a comfortable win,” SMU head Coach June Jones said. “The score looks that way but it seems like you’re holding onto your rear end until the end every time.”

SMU (3-2, 2-0) picked up their largest road win since 1999 while the Owls (1-4, 0-1) failed to earn their first conference win.

Mustang defensive back Sterling Moore recorded his second interception of the season and returned the ball 32 yards for a touchdown, giving SMU an early 7-0 lead.

The Mustangs dominated the rest of the first quarter and put on a 15- play, 80-yard drive that lasted over seven minutes and extended into the second quarter.

However, SMU failed to score on the drive as kicker Marcelo Sada missed wide left on a 32-yard field goal attempt.

Rice kicker Chris Boswell responded by booting in a 42-yard field goal midway through the first quarter making the score 7-3.

Just before halftime, SMU quarterback Kyle Padron threw a 51- yard bomb to wide receiver Aldrick Robinson, which moved the Mustangs just inside the Owls’ 30 yard line.

Two plays later, Padron connected with Robinson yet again, this time on a 23-yard scoring strike to put SMU up 14-3 heading into intermission.

After a lackluster first half, the fireworks finally exploded in the second half.

The Owls were forced to punt on their first possession of the third quarter, but the Rice coverage unit came up strong.

SMU returner Darius Johnson fielded the punt at the 5 yard line when Rice’s Chris Jones forced a fumble which was recovered in the end zone by Phillip Gaines for the touchdown.

The score cut the deficit to four and put the Owls right back in the game.

“That was a bad decision by Darius [Johnson],” Jones said. “He’s a special punt returner, and I didn’t expect him to make that mistake.”

The Mustangs responded well on their next offensive possession. Padron found wide receiver Cole Beasley on a 49-yard pass completion to the Rice 6 yard line. Padron and Robinson once again hooked up for a touchdown, this time on a 5-yard connection, giving SMU a 21-10 lead.

SMU’s special teams redeemed themselves when linebacker Youri Yenga blocked a 35-yard field goal attempt by Boswell. Linebacker Ja’Gared Davis scooped the ball up and returned it 77 yards for a touchdown.

The blocked kick was the Ponies’ third of the season and gave them a commanding 28-10 lead.

The Owls responded with an 11- play, 60-yard touchdown drive capped off by a 1-yard touchdown run by running back Charles Ross. One minute into the fourth quarter the score stood at 28-17.

In response, Padron made a 41-yard pass to Robinson. The play set up a 3-yard touchdown by running back Zach Line.

SMU defensive back Richard Crawford snagged his first interception of the season on Rice’s ensuing drive.

Padron connected on another 49- yard pass completion to Beasley, which placed the Mustangs in the red zone. Padron threw his third touchdown of the day to Patrick Fleming in the end zone from 7 yards out.

Fleming’s first career touchdown extended the lead 42-17. Beasley finished the night with eight receptions for a career high of 158 yards.

Rice put more points on the board with a 70-yard scoring drive that lasted less than three minutes.

Running back Sam McGuffie rushed for a one yard touchdown to make the score 42-24 with five minutes remaining in the game.

Owl QB Nick Fanuzzi completed three key passes to tight end Trevor Gillette on the drive which set up another one-yard touchdown run, this time by running back Jeremy Eddington.

The score remained 42-31 in favor of SMU as the final seconds ticked off the scoreboard.

The ‘Stangs set season highs in points (42), passing yards (371) and total yards (472) in their first win at Rice since 1986.

Padron completed 24 of 32 passes for 351 yards and three touchdowns.

SMU will look to start 3-0 in conference play for the first time since 1986 when they host Tulsa on Saturday at 7 p.m.