SMU women’s tennis take down No. 33 Ohio State 4-3

The lady Mustangs traveled to Knoxville Tenn. this past weekend for the ITA Kickoff Weekend at the University of Tennessee.

Their first match was on Sunday against No. 17 Ole Miss. SMU won the doubles point. The pair of Marta Lesniak and Aleksandra Malyarchikova defeated Rhode-Moe and Krisi Boxx 8-3 at line one. Line two of Heather Steinbauer and Edyta Cieplucha won against their opponents of Vonnor Vogel and Gabby Ragel 8-4.

Steinbauer, at number 3 singles, lost a hard fought battle to Rhode Moe, losing both sets in tiebreakers 7-6 (4), and 7-6 (4).

Malyarchikova took on van Stroet of Ole Miss at number five singles clinching the win 7-5, 6-4.

At line one, number two ranked Lesniak fell for her first time this spring, and her fourth all season to 21st ranked Boxx, 6-4 7-6(4).

Hatamova completed a hard fought win over Guthrie at number four singles 7-5, 6-4.

Cieplucha at line two was also defeated by Connor Vogel of Ole Miss in a long three setter, 2-6, 6-3, 6-1.

Monday, however, was an exciting day for the Mustangs as they took on No. 33 Ohio State. This four hour marathon match-up came out in SMU’s favor for an optimistic ride home.

The Mustangs continued the tradition by beginning the day with doubles but lost the point to the Buckeyes. It was up to the singles to bring home the win for SMU.

Aleksandra Malyarchikova dominated her opponent 6-1, 6-1 in a short time at number five singles.

The Buckeyes then took the lead once more 2-1 when Turpin was defeated at line six 6-1, 6-2. Lesniak then proved her point as the number two singles player in the nation when she pulled the team to a tie after defeating her opponent 6-4, 6-2 at line one.

Both Cieplucha and Heather Steinbauer sealed the win for the Mustangs, both long exhausting matches, and three setters. Cieplucha won 7-6(5), 2-6, 7-5 and Steinbauer fighting off her opponent 6-2, 6-7(5), 6-2.

The lady Mustangs next match will be Saturday February 5th when they take on Wichita State in Wichita.