No. 33 SMU women’s tennis falls short against No. 9 Bears, 4-3

The No. 33 ranked SMU women’s tennis team dropped to 12-4 overall this spring season after a heartbreaking 4-3 loss at the hands of Baylor on Wednesday in Waco.

SMU jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, earning the doubles point in dramatic fashion, but only managed to win two out of six matches in singles play.

In doubles action, the Bears jumped out to an early lead after Taylor Ormond and Karolina Filipiak took down the SMU pair of Kris Roberts and Shahzoda Hatamova, 8-5.

However, Heather Steinbauer and Edyta Cieplucha got SMU right back in the thick of things. Steinbauer and Cieplucha defeated Diana Nakic and Sona Navakova, 8-6, to even things up.

SMU juniors Marta Lesniak and Aleksandra Malyarchikova edged past Baylor pair Jelena Stanivuk and Nina Secerbegovic, 9-7 to clinch the doubles point for the Mustangs.

The Bears turned up the heat in singles play as they dominated early and often, winning the first four matches.

Ormond quickly ousted Roberts 6-1, 6-1 to kick off singles competition and No. 44 Nakic downed Steinbauer 6-3, 6-0 to give the Bears an early 2-1 lead.

Baylor extended their commanding lead after No. 34 Secerbegovic made quick work of Cieplucha 6-3, 6-3. No. 116 Filipiak cinched the win for the Bears with her thrashing of Hatamova at the No. 5 line, 6-4, 6-2.

The Mustangs never quit and showed great effort by winning the final two matches. Malyarcikova gave SMU their first singles win of the afternoon when she defeated No. 119 Stanivuk 6-4. 1-6, (10-7).

No. 9 Lesniak won the final match of the day, taking out No. 11 Novakova 6-4, 4-6, (14-12).

SMU returns to the courts on Mar. 26 when they host University of California at Santa Barbara at 12 p.m.