Jones on verge of 100th career win

SMU head coach June Jones, center, works with players during NCAA college football practice at Panther Stadium on the Birmingham-Southern campus, in Birmingham, Ala., Wednesday, Jan. 4.
Associated Press

SMU head coach June Jones, center, works with players during NCAA college football practice at Panther Stadium on the Birmingham-Southern campus, in Birmingham, Ala., Wednesday, Jan. 4. (Associated Press)

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — After bowling and barbeque, tours of city hotspots and even a few visits to the local children’s hospital, the SMU Mustangs wrapped up their final walkthrough Friday afternoon in preparation for their third consecutive bowl game.

SMU and the University of Pittsburgh will meet in the 2012 BBVA Compass Bowl at noon on Saturday, Jan. 7 at Legion Field in Birmingham, Ala. ESPN will hold complete televised coverage of the game.

The last time SMU and Pittsburgh met on the field was in the 1983 Cotton Bowl where SMU clenched a 7-3 victory. The current record for the SMU-Pitt series is 2-2-1.

This game could also potentially be SMU Head Coach June Jones’ 100th career coaching victory. His current record is at 99-69.

Jones also has now led the Mustangs to three consecutive seven win seasons as the Mustangs closed out regular season play 7-5. Their opponent tomorrow, Pitt, will enter the game 6-6 with interim coach Keith Patterson.

This is the second straight BBVA Compass Bowl for Pitt. Coincidently, this time last year they had an interim coach at the bowl game as well when they faced Kentucky.

No matter the circumstances, both teams will arrive on the field anticipating a win. “I really really want this group of seniors to get out with a win,” said Jones at a press conference this past week.