Women’s swimming looks to start 2012-2013 season strong

SMU’s women’s swimming and diving team competes in the 2011 Classic.
Taylor Henry/The Daily Campus

SMU’s women’s swimming and diving team competes in the 2011 Classic. (Taylor Henry/The Daily Campus)

The SMU women’s swimming team will start their 2012-2013 schedule with the Red and Blue Intra Squad Meet on Tuesday at 6 p.m. in Perkins Natatorium.

The Mustangs had a huge summer with two current swimmers competing in the London Olympic Games and one former swimmer being named the Conference USA (C-USA) Scholar Athlete of the year.

Denisa Smolenova was awarded the C-USA award after graduating in May with a 3.768 GPA. She was also a three-time recipient of the C-USA Commissioner’s medal.

Nina Rangelova, who is heading into her junior year at SMU, made her second Olympic appearance for Bulgaria. She competed in the 100, 200 and 400 meter free style events.

Rangelova was joined in London by Coach Steve Collins, who was a member of the Bulgarian coaching staff.

First year Danielle Villars was also in London, representing Switzerland in the 100 meter butterfly and the 200 meter freestyle competitions.

Neither swimmer advanced past the preliminary heats, but the experience they gained will inevitably help the team in the upcoming season.

Having two swimmers who have been exposed to the atmosphere and the level of competition in London, is a big addition to a team that is looking to improve on their 16th place finish in last year’s NCAA Championship.

However, in the championship SMU did impress, compiling 19 All-American Honors.

Ten of those titles belong to current SMU swimmers:

Isabella Arcila (200-yard freestyle relay, 400-yard freestyle relay), Monika Babok (200-yard freestyle relay, 400-yard freestyle relay), Erica Dnadon (400-yard medley relay), Rachel Nicol (200-yard medley relay) and Nina Rangelova (200-yard freestyle, 200-yard freestyle relay, 400-yard freestyle relay, 400-yard medley relay).

SMU will undoubtedly be led by Rangelova who holds Bulgarian National records in the 50 meter butterfly (27.97), 50 meter freestyle (25.06), 100 meter butterfly (1:00.50), 200 meter individual medley (2:15.60), 200 meter freestyle ( 1:56.11), 100 meter freestyle ( 55.54) and 400 meter freestyle (4:12.21).

After the Red and Blue Meet, the Mustangs will head to Arkansas for the Razorback Relays on Oct. 6, before returning home for the SMU classic (Oct. 19 to Oct. 20), and meets with Texas A&M (Oct.26) and Rice (Nov. 3).