“Thom Pain (based on nothing)” presents engaging anti-hero

Walters is perfect Pain

Are you looking for a hero? Do you want to see a magic trick? Would you like someone to tell you a story?

Well, you might enjoy Second Thought Theatre’s production of “Thom Pain (based on nothing)” or you might not but you are free to leave at any time. And the barefoot, bona fide bloke on stage, or in the risers, won’t mind one bit — even though he might curse at you on your way out.

This heartfelt production of Will Eno’s wildly popular one-man show stars local actor and STT’s co-artistic director Steven Walters as the meditative, though seemingly incoherent existentialist Thom Pain.

The play begins in the dark. Thom is seated in a chair on stage attempting to light a cigarette and refusing to turn up the lights, only to find himself in the spotlight anyway, struggling with the idea that life can’t be controlled. For a little over an hour, the audience is subjected to anything and everything that Thom would like to talk about, from stories about how difficult it is to grow up, to falling in love and a few rants about what a mess it is to be alive.

As Thom, Walters is an engaging anti-hero, striking a meaningful balance between cynicism and sensitivity. He manages to make this fumbling, cathartic performance both heart-breaking and hilarious.

The humor of this play is somewhat grim, but if you find yourself constantly questioning the cards that life has dealt you, then the laughter will come from a surprisingly honest place.

Thom lets you laugh at him (or is he laughing at you?) and cry if you need to, but you might find him in the seat next to you or yelling in your ear, followed by an embarrassed apology.

Walters is the ideal actor for a one-man show, especially one of this nature, because he is interesting without being winsome and he has made the character his own—although there are moments that feel rather scripted. This play, for all its simplicity, makes bold commentary on life as we know it, and it is obvious that director Matthew Gray, Walters and everyone else involved understands the power of the piece they’ve created.

We can only hope that this season opener serves as the impetus for Second Thought to have one of the more profound seasons in Dallas theater. Don’t miss out on your chance to allow Thom Pain to berate, bemuse and inspire you.

“Thom Pain (based on nothing)” is playing in the Studio Space of Addison Theatre Centre through Jan. 29. Student rush tickets are $15.

For more information, visit secondthoughttheatre.com or call (214) 616-8439.