Former editor in chief says her final farewell

To be honest I’ve been dreading writing this “goodbye” since the beginning of my senior year.

The Daily Campus has been a huge part of my life since I joined the staff at the beginning of my sophomore year. Back then I was just a nighttime copy editor and I had no idea that the newspaper office would become my second home. From chief copy editor to assignments desk editor to editor in chief and finally to the fun job of food editor, I’ve experienced all types of positions at the paper.

Joining The Daily Campus was the best decision I made in college. I built some of my favorite college memories in the newsroom.

I remember way too many late nights at the paper, rarely leaving before midnight. I remember driving on ice during the snow week sophomore year, because the paper would go to print no matter what. Most of all I remember all the friends I made over the past three years.

I owe so much to staff alumni because y’all were my role models through the years.

Ashley, Sarah & Spencer: I would not have had the confidence to apply for assignments desk editor if it weren’t for y’all. You guys taught me what it meant to be an editor and encouraged me to reach higher for a different position. Spencer, I can’t thank you enough for all your training in photography. And finally thank you Sarah for training me on how to handle the job of editor in chief and the ins and outs of that pesky little thing called College Publisher.

Jay: Last semester was one of the most rewarding semesters of college as editor in chief of the paper and I could not have done it without your advice and support. I cannot thank you enough.

Chase: This “thanks” is the hardest to write. You were teasing me this past weekend asking for an entire paragraph and that’s what you’re going to get. You’re the best writer I know and by spending time with you my own writing has improved. Over the past couple of years, you’ve been my movie buddy, always there to fill me in on the latest must-watch films and inviting me to advanced screenings, and more than that you became my best friend. You’ve been there for me during my hardest times not only at paper, but also in life. Thanks for everything.

To the rest of my DC family: I love you all and keep in touch. Thanks to everybody, especially Rahfin, Tucker, Sidney and Leila, for keeping me sane during late night productions every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. I never regretted giving up my Thursday nights, because I had way more laughs every production night with all of y’all.

Sadly, my time at the paper has to come at the end and my future awaits. I wish I could name every person who has been a part of my time on the paper, but sadly I do have a limited word count.

So I leave with the same sentiments as Ashley and Sarah: Good luck to future staff – I know y’all will do amazing things with the paper and remember I’m only a text/call/tweet/Facebook away.

Varma is a senior majoring in communication studies.