Breathe, relax, succeed during finals week

All right, everyone, we need to keep our cool.

We’ve come to the end.

We have no more scheduled class.

Finals are today, and we’re getting ready for the big push towards summer.

Right now I’m sure many of you are in libraries or Umph, studying, eating, wishing you were finished for the semester, at home or a party and relaxing for the first time in months.

But really, keep your cool.

The next five days will be challenging. We all know this. Many of us have been through finals week before. Our fingers turn yellow from tobacco use, or our minds buzz from caffeine. Some of you will sport terrifying looks of despair in Starbucks, and others will look like demons lurking through the West Stacks of Fondren with blood-shot eyes.

Hey, I know this is a stressful time of the year. But really, everyone, take a break.

Cool your jets. Let your mind relax. Eat something good for you.

In all seriousness, it’s important for us to remember to take care of ourselves, both physically and mentally, during this next week.

Many of my friends love to exercise during finals week because it relieves stress.

Sure, I love to work on my physical fitness, but let’s be honest, I’d rather go to Digg’s Taco Shop.

However, whether it’s eating out or working out, taking a ride on a bike or strolling through the park, a few minutes of relaxing can go a long way while you’re studying for hours in libraries and coffee shops.

There is no reason why you should be locked up in the scary, World War II submarine that is Fondren Library. There is little sunlight and a lot of processed air in there. Who knows what that is doing to your brain.

And even though drinking fifty-four ounces of coffee seems like a great idea when you’re tired, there will come a point when your body will shut down. Then you will be that awkward person who falls asleep and drools on themselves on the couches in the Meadows Library. You wouldn’t want that ending up on the SMU meme page, would you?

Every hour, take a ten minute study break. Stand up, move your butt and get the blood flowing through your body again.
Keep with you, hydrate yourself and don’t take odd pills to stay awake. Partying before those three finals probably isn’t the best idea. Save it for the big finish, should that be your prerogative.

When in doubt, take a nap. A rested brain is a functional one.

And remember, there isn’t anything on these tests that you don’t already know.

These days are designed for you to review your knowledge and show the professors what you’ve got! I’m sure everyone will be fine.

Classmates, peers, it has been fun and a good semester. So let’s get to it, enjoy the summer and I’ll see you next year.

Michael is a sophomore majoring in communications studies and religious studies.