Jackass cast sits down with The Daily Campus, talks 3D

First 100 percent live-action 3D movie, ““It’s not a cartoon, you know? Like [James] Cameron.”

The series that has entertained and inspired millions of adolescents and 20-somethings has brought another round of audacity to screens, this time in the 3D format.

Paramount’s controversial franchise, Jackass, premiered Jackass 3D this past weekend in Los Angeles. The Daily Campus sat down in L.A. with the director and cast in a roundtable discussion with college journalists from across the nation.

Co-creator and helm of the Jackass franchise Jeff Tremaine was on site to discuss the making of the third movie. According to Tremaine, Paramount Pictures took a big step in switching a bulk of the camera work to 3D coverage, a trend that has soared in popularity in the past year since the release of James Cameron’s Avatar.

“Paramount suggested that we shoot it in 3D, and we were resistant at first,” Tremaine said, “because, the way we do things, we’re a real run-and-gun crew and to get these big 3D cameras and the extra people that come with all that just scared us.”

Tremaine and his team completed several tests with their documentary style of filmmaking using the 3D rigs and found that the cast members performed to par like their previous films.

Johnny Knoxville, creator and star of the Jackass series, said, “I was the last person to be converted,” when asked about the 3D switch.

“I just thought it would change the way we shot. I thought it [filming] would take a long time,” he said. “It would just change the movie, and I’m not up for that.”

After seeing tests with the handheld 3D camera rigs, Knoxville signed off on the process and filming ensued.

When asked if the 3D filming process prohibited some stunts to be accomplished, Tremaine stated, “No, we were always ready to drop the 3D cameras and go shoot with run and gun cameras.”

Several portions of the movie were shot on consumer grade 2D video cameras, including any hidden camera work needed for pranks and jokes.

Actor Chris Pontius liked the 3D idea from the beginning. You might remember Pontius from Jackass 2, where he dressed his genitalia like a mouse and stuck it in a snake’s cage. 

“This technology is evolving,” Pontius said. “The stuff we tested for the conversion was a lot better than it would have been months before.”

The cast and Tremaine made sure to stress that this movie is the first 3D film ever to be released that is 100 percent live-action, with no computer-generated imaging.

“It’s hard because it’s real. No one’s done it where it’s all real.” Tremaine said. “Anything that’s flying at the lens, that’s flying at a really expensive lens. And, like, when we do it, it hits it.”

“It’s not a cartoon, you know? Like [James] Cameron,” actor Pontius made sure to interject.

If you enjoyed the TV series or the first two films, the third installment will not disappoint your craving to watch Knoxville, Bam, Weeman and more go to ridiculous extremes for entertainment and humor.

Be prepared for a variety of grotesque bodily fluids and sexually themed entities to fly out at you. The 3D scenes are done well, immersing the audience within the ever-shocking Jackass world. Jackass 3D opens nationwide Friday, Oct. 15.