Partner Card offers deep discounts for good cause

Fall is here. The cold air has moved in, the leaves are beginning to change and the holidays are just around the corner.

We all know what this means: it’s time to stock up on clothes and accessories for the approaching season.

With the Family Place’s Partners Card, you can enjoy a 20 percent discount at more than 750 retailers and restaurants for the next 10 days.

Partners Card is an event sponsored by the Family Place, a DFW women’s shelter and domestic violence prevention organization.

During the event that begins today and lasts through Sunday Nov. 6, you can buy a Partners Card for $60 online and at participating stores. Then all of the proceeds of that purchase go toward domestic violence prevention programs.

In return, you get 20 percent off major retail chains, high-end boutiques and restaurants across the metroplex.

But you don’t have to go far to take advantage of the bargains. Find Partner’s Card discounts within walking distance.

In fact, there are over 40 participating retailers in the SMU vicinity, many of which are right across the street in Snider Plaza.

At Cotton Island on Hillcrest Avenue, students can stop in for all the winter fashion trends — skinny jeans, boots, and chunky knit sweaters — all at 20 percent less.

Store manager Rachel Gutierrez suggests using Partners Card as an opportunity to experiment with different styles.

“Partners Card gets a lot of people here who wouldn’t shop here otherwise, and it’s just such a good cause — you have to support something like that,” she says.

At The Blue Jeans Bar in Snider Plaza, SMU students can find fashionable solutions for the chilly winter weather and accessories for any time of year.

The Blue Jeans Bar store manager Jole Newton says, “The Partners Card is definitely worth it.”

And at the premium denim and accessory shop, students can partake in a double-dose of charity as the store specializes in charitable fashion.

Pick up a pair of shoe-donating TOMS shoes or Puravida bracelets that benefit Costa Rican artisans.

Peek in the Attic in Snider Plaza is offering an extra discount for SMU students.

In addition to the Partners Card discount of 20 percent-off, the gift and accessory boutique is offering an extra 5 percent off the entire store for SMU students. Just show your student I.D. at the register and knock off 25 percent off the bill.

At Peek in the Attic, get your Vera Bradley fix and browse the plentiful sorority pendant section.

Melanie Gayle Woman’s Specialty Boutique sells jewelry, formal dresses, and accessories. And with Partners Card, even the sale rack is an additional 20 percent off, meaning there’s something for every student’s budget.

Other participating stores in the Snider Plaza area include Spice, Spicy II, and The Impeccable Pig on Hillcrest Avenue that offer specialty women’s clothing and accessories.

If you need a shopping break, head to any area Pinkberry for 20 percent off your frozen yogurt.

And for lunch or dinner, go to Maggiano’s or Mi Piacci.

Discounts are not limited to Snider Plaza. Many chains like the Container Store, Free People, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Rugby by Ralph Lauren and David Yurman are participating in Partners Card.

Partners Card offers benefits for everyone.

Junior Elise McDonald supports the Partners Card not only because she loves shopping, but also because she wants to prevent domestic violence.

“I would like to participate because domestic violence is definitely an important cause,” she said.

SMU freshman and Dallas-local Hayley Waring has participated in Partners Card for many years.

“Each year my mom gets one and we have so much fun shopping and enjoying the great discount.”

While a $60 investment may seem like a lot, Waring says it all pays off.

“It seems expensive at first, but the money you save on gifts for others or yourself really does add up. Plus it goes to a reall

y great cause,” she said.

There’s even something for the boys out there.

As SMU student William O’Connor says, boys should partake in this event to buy gifts for the holiday season.

“I don’t consider myself an avid shopper,” O’Connor says. “But I’m frugal, so I’m always on the lookout for a good deal.”

“This is perfect timing because I can get a head start on Christmas shopping,” he said.

The Partners Card program has raised more than $11 million for domestic violence prevention since it was founded in 1993.

For more information about the program and to buy a Partners Card, go to FamilyPlace.org