Halloween – not just for humans anymore

Halloween — it’s not just for humans anymore. Nearly 30 million people purchase pet costumes each year. A good portion of that may be the Paris Hiltons of the world who have a closet full of dog clothes.

But this time of year, pet costume clients aren’t the fanatic pet owners who treat their dogs like dolls. No, pet Halloween costume clients are proud puppy parents like myself who really do treat their dog like a child. And like any parent, I want my child to enjoy the wonders of Halloween, trick or treating and the joy of participating in all of the holiday excitement.

OK, in all honesty, just like any toddler parent, we dress up our loved ones in cute little costumes so we can post adorable pictures on Facebook. Because who doesn’t want to see a picture of my little cocker spaniel, Snickers, dressed up as Superman?

True, the pet parents I labeled as finatics probably site the same reason for having a closet full of puppy clothes. So maybe I, along with other Halloween pet parents, simply use Halloween to justify my inner desire to see my little man dressed up in clothes.

Parents who are already taking their real little ones trick-or-treating have an even better reason to dress-up the four-legged members of their family too.

Anyone who has ever spent time with a five year old can confirm the month-long debate over what to be for Halloween. It really is one of the most beloved holiday’s in a child’s mind.

A drive through the Park Cities shows parents are willing to go all out to help their kids celebrate the holiday. Yards are full of spider webs, pumpkins and scarescrows. Pet costumes are just another way to help make every Halloween special.

To help enhance the splendor of the holiday, why not take a trip to the pet store to pick out Fido’s Halloween costume too? They can even get partner costumes — Barkman and Robin, Luke Skywalker and Chubaca, Shaggy and Scooby Doo or Dorothy and Toto.

This is not to say parents should consider their dogs as an accessory; it is more about increasing the bond between children and their pets and creating memories that will last a life time.

In the end, that’s really what dressing up for Halloween is all about? For this pet lover, my best Halloween memories will always include Snickers, my furry super hero.

Bridget Bennett is a senior majoring in journalism and advertising. She can be reached for comment at [email protected]