Reality shows could use a reality check

As we write this article, the ninth season of “American Idol” is being broadcast on the local Fox channel.

We both watch this show in amazement, not because of the singing but because we are shocked by how long this show has actually lasted.

The concept of the show is quite good: Average Joe/Josie gets a chance at pop stardom by winning America’s heart with his/her “unique” voice. Well, that was all fine and dandy the first four seasons, but now it’s getting ridiculous. It is not music to our ears.

Every season has had an annoying 16 year-old acting cute and innocent in interviews.

Every season thus far has had some struggling parent who wants to make a better life for his child.

Not to sound cruel or stonehearted, but we need a new cast. The current one is not only annoying, it’s also old!

That leads us to our main point: reality shows and how lame they are getting.
Producers are running out of ideas.

There are about five versions of the “Real Housewives” series floating around in your television set. Some have lasted only a few episodes, such as “The Secrets of Aspen” and that horrible attempt at portraying Highland Park and Turtle Creek women in “Dallas Divas and Daughters.”

We were embarrassed by that show; ashamed even. We felt like that show did everything it could to portray the most extreme case of snobby Texas women. Not everyone is like that around here. Sorry Hollywood.

How about the 60 billion types of dating shows that are always on? VH1 has about 10 reality dating shows every season! “Rock of Love,” “For the Love of Ray J” and “I Love New York;” it never ends! And what is even worse is that there are multiple seasons of this stupidity!

Reality shows aren’t even reality!

A perfect example is “The Hills” series. It is amazing how the producers happen to catch every catfight and every gossip session on tape!

Wait, no it isn’t. Show producers set those encounters up! So lame.

The fact of the matter is, there is nothing wholesome, entertaining (anymore at least) or educational about this genre of television.

The only reality show we think is even worth stopping on while we flip throw channels is “The Biggest Loser.”

Anyone who isn’t touched by someone dropping practically half of his body weight has issues. These people actually have a real life struggle that a large chunk of Americans, unfortunately, is dealing with.

So reality shows are lame. If someone can prove to us that they aren’t a load of made up manure then, by all means, share your comments.

Samantha Cangelosi is a sophomore journalism major and Samantha Verrill is a junior journalism major. They can be reached for comment at [email protected] and [email protected], respectively.