Pope Francis brings hope through acts of kindness

Courtesy of AP
Pope Francis I holds a disabled child in St. Peter’s Square on Easter.

Pope Francis I holds a disabled child in St. Peter’s Square on Easter. (Courtesy of AP)

There has been alot wrong with the Catholic Church as of late. As we all know, the numerous sex scandals, waning attendance at mass and a plethora of smaller problems have plagued the Vatican in the last century.

When we entered the Lenten season, I was more than a bit skeptical about the leadership of the church. As a mainline Protestant, I may or may not have any authority to speak to the problems of the Catholic Church. But I feel that I do have a place in saying the recent scandals within the domain of Christianity shook my faith in both the humanity of the people involved, the church itself and a bit in God.

I found myself asking the question that many have posed: “Why would a good God let these horrible things happen to his people or people in general?” I still don’t have an answer, but I did find a bit of hope and reassurance in the last week.

The Lenten season began with the announcement of the stepping down of Pope Benedict XVI and the ascension of Francis I to the highest office in the Catholic Church. Although I don’t see him as authoritatively as Catholics do, but I do have alot of respect for what the pope decrees and does in terms of religion. Because of this respect, the photo that came out this week of him hugging an American 8-year-old with a disability was so poignant to me.

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words: whoever “they” are have a pretty good case when this photo is put up across the internet. It shows the pope being both very human and Christ-like at the same. time He holds a boy who, in most societies, is seen as a problem or a encumbrance on most people’s lives. It makes the parents of the child caretakers for life, something which is difficult in the best circumstances, and unmanageable for many. Francis I doesn’t look at the camera taking his picture, smile or even know that a cameraman is recording the event. The photo doesn’t look the least bit posed, like the ones his predecessor took. He just holds the boy.

He presents an example of Christ in a way that I don’t think the last pope could. He shows us what a leader is supposed to look like and more importantly, he paints us a picture of our own relationships with Christ.

We are all broken men in one way or another. We’re not perfect, but God loves us anyway. That sort of unconditional love is what Jesus is all about. Seeing someone represent this fact so prominently despite all of the criticisms of the organization that he leads gives me hope for a brighter future for Christendom and the organized church as a whole.

Saul is a sophomore majoring in journalism.