Football fans have much to anticipate

I’m about to turn your world upside down, Mustang fans.

In case you live under a rock, you know the first home football game is this weekend. The Ponies are going to be taking on the dreaded UTEP Miners.

Now. I’m sure none of this has shocked you yet, so you are probably wondering, “What is up with this guy’s opening sentence? It makes no sense! My world is completely right side up!” Well, you impatient The Daily Campus reader, you…Here’s the shocking revelation: There are two halves in a football game!

Crazy. I know. Before we get to the concept of football games with two halves, though, I know you freshmen probably haven’t been to a football game at SMU yet, so for the sake of new Mustangs reading this, I’ll give you the run down on the whole game day experience.

First, there’s Boulevarding. Here is the chance to wear your most awesome and/or obnoxious SMU gear. The sky is the limit here, really. You hang out at tents and essentially eat, drink (lemonade), and be merry. It’s kind of like tailgating, but about fifty times better.

After that, there’s a parade led by Peruna, SMU’s awesome mascot. Peruna, the cheerleaders, and the band lead the march down to the stadium, which starts at the flagpole about an hour before kick off. Be sure to join in and accompany them to the stadium! By the way, make sure to brush up on the lyrics to “Hail to the red and the blue…” because we will sing it loud and proud several times during the parade.

After you get to the stadium, go over to the Student Entrance by Doak Walker to get your free entry with your ID card.

Then, proceed into the student section by the band. Make sure to stand up on the bleachers, cheer really loudly, and essentially cheer yourself hoarse for the Mustangs.

Now, here’s the mind-blowing part. After about an hour and a half, the teams will run off the field. Don’t fret! The game isn’t over! In about fifteen minutes, they will come back and continue playing! It is vital that you don’t leave during this part, no matter what the fair weather fans do or say when they leave. Stay for the second half: don’t even think about leaving. I guess its okay to go get a $4 hot dog or a $5 Coke, but you better be back in the stands before the kick off! After the game ends for real after the second half, Peruna and the team will come over to the student section to sing Varsity.

Make sure you know the words and sing them proudly.

No matter the score (though, we WILL win), football games are a great time to be at SMU. You only get to experience game days six times a year, so make the most of it. You won’t regret it.

Brad Ray is a junior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. He can be reached for comment at [email protected]