The downside of American hegemony

In 2004, a crude animated puppet movie was released titled “Team American: World Police.”

Though the film was filled with lewd dialogue and was wildly inappropriate, at a very basic level it had a valid point. America is, in many ways, considered the “world police.”  During the mid-20th century, the United States established itself as a powerful and wealthy country. Since that time, America has remained the hegemonic power other countries in the world have come to rely on.

The extent of America’s influence is evident in countries across the globe—McDonald’s has franchises in six of the seven continents, excluding Antarctica. But the power of America is not simply in the sharing of its unhealthy fast food chains.  The countries of the world rely on America to give them support, both military and financial, when in need.
According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), the United States is the top donor to humanitarian causes, followed by private donations (individuals, the Red Cross, etc), Sweden, Canada, and Germany. The gap between the donations of our country and of the rest of the wealthy countries illustrates and reinforces our hegemonic role in the world.

As the character Uncle Ben from Spiderman famously said, “With great power comes great responsibility.” Haiti is a perfect example of the responsibility that comes with being the most powerful country in the world. Immediately after the earth shook in Haiti, killing upwards of 200,000 people and destroying the capital city of Port-au-Prince, Americans reacted with their hearts and their wallets. The U.S. military sent in 13,000 troops, and by Feb. 1, 2010, the United States had contributed 20,000 troops and 26 Navy ships, including vessels that doubled as emergency hospitals for the injured and dying Haitian people. Since the earthquake, the Pentagon has spent $234 million in the aid operation.
Government relief is not the only aspect of American aid. Programs such as the Red Cross and the Clinton/Bush Haiti Fund have raised millions of dollars for the relief effort.

Hollywood spoke and sang for Hope for Haiti Now, which has raised over $58 million for the people of Haiti.

The American response in the Haitian earthquake tragedy is not atypical, but is rather how America has responded to tragedies worldwide.  Our government pledged over $350 million in the 2004 Tsunami disaster and has given nearly $314 million to help with relief in Sudan, which is 97% of all the aid Sudan has received. Canada follows the United States in Sudanese aid, giving $3,761,905—the dramatic gap between Canadian and U.S. aid is unfortunately typical as well. According to OCHA, as of Feb. 16, private donations lead in aid raised for Haiti at $844 million (42.9%), followed by the United States at $599 million (30.4%). We are followed by Canada, who has given $81 million (4.1%). Again, there exists the same dramatic gap between the philanthropic tendencies of the United States and other countries.

Though America has unquestionably been the most active country in generating aid and donations for emergencies worldwide, it is always under attack for being as active as it is.

Other countries have chastised America for acting as though it has the right to take charge in any situation internationally. France initially had a negative response to the US control of the airport at Port-au-Prince, and a top Italian disaster official, Guido Bertolaso, criticized the U.S.-led relief effort in Haiti, calling it a “pathetic failure that is merely a vanity show for the TV cameras.” Though the Italian government quickly separated itself from Bertolaso, this sentiment is not uncommon. The international community never spares the United States from criticism when it interferes in other countries, yet is quick to ask the United States for help when disaster strikes.

America gives more to the international community than has ever been given to it. While many countries did lend help when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and the Gulf of Mexico states, they gave less when terrorists devastated the iconic World Trade Center on 9/11, killing nearly 2,800 innocent people. When America called on the United Nations to support its efforts in combating terrorism, it was met with hesitation and many cold shoulders. Where was the international knight in shining armor? When the hegemonic leader needs help, there is no one else willing or able to come to its aid.

The world expects so much out of the United States when assistance is needed while it simultaneously dwindles in its support of U.S. military efforts on the other side of the globe. Why are we the responsible ones? With a national debt quickly climbing to $12 trillion, how can we afford to be so giving while receiving so much less?

A brilliant professor once explained that this is the burden of hegemony. America is powerful; we are rich and we are a strong, caring people. We take care of the world because we have to.  We are the hegemonic country, and it is our responsibility.
America takes care of the world, but who takes care of America?

Claire Sanderson is a junior CCPA and Political Science double major. She can be reached for comment at [email protected].