Students Sikh new cultural experiences

I like to dress nicely when I’m on campus, especially when I have meetings to attend all day long. Wednesday is the busiest day of my week. Therefore, I always dress to the nines to give me an extra boost of confidence that helps me push through a solid 16 hour day. This past Wednesday I wore my comfortable loafers, dress jeans, French cuff shirt, blazer with the mandatory Peruna lapel pin and a turban.

Oh yea, I sported a turban.

The SMU Sikh Students Association hosted “Sikh Turban Day” on Wednesday, encouraging people to come to its table, wear a turban for a few hours, eat some great food and most importantly, learn about the Sikh religion from their peers.

It was a fabulous event.

Not only were the people incredibly friendly, knowledgeable and provided great food (I had fried spinach and a lovely wrap, all vegetarian of course), but the event helped to alleviate some of the stereotypes that people have against those who wear turbans every day.

Of course, anyone who knows me understands that I’m a “libber” when it comes to religious freedoms, and even I thought that most people in the United States who wear turbans were Muslim, it turns out, most are Sikhs! I realized that I still have much to learn about both communities.

What really excited me, however, was the fact that the Sikh Students Association felt comfortable hosting this event to educate their peers about their religion. Although SMU is an incredibly diverse campus, I often think that many people assume most students come from a Christian background. The university setting is a great place to learn more about our friends’ religions not because we are in an academic setting, but because we are surrounded by such an eclectic group of people.

I have Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Christian, Pagan and Jewish friends. I learn so much from them with each conversation. Even if I don’t agree with their viewpoints (and heck, I argue with my Christian friends all the time!), I would support their right to practice their religions freely and peacefully no matter the cost. I am happy to say that SMU is allowing room for discussion and education for these different religions.

So what did I learn from Sikh Turban Day?

The turban is to be respected, cannot be tossed to the ground and cannot be stepped on.

Those wearing it cannot smoke, drink alcohol or speak negatively of other religions. And I have to say, going three hours without a cigarette during a stressful day was a religious experience in itself (a big thanks to the Sikh group for keeping my intake down for a day).

I was able to see how much discipline the practitioners have while wearing the turban, talk and meet with some new friends and learn more about the Sikh religion.

I cannot do the Sikh religious teachings, or this experience, justice in one article. However, I can encourage everyone to look out for more events that discuss the diverse, religious community in Dallas, and continue to learn and understand those different from yourself.

Michael is a sophomore majoring in communications studies and religious studies.