Fashion savvy SMU student shares her experiences

Marin showcases her personal style.
Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
Marin showcases her personal style.

Marin showcases her personal style. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Rebecca Marin, a junior at SMU studying communications with a focus in public relations, advertising and fashion media, has a background filled with experience that has aided in her success in the fashion industry.

How would you describe your personal style?

Feminine and eclectic.

How did you get so interested in the fashion world?

My mom started to let me dress myself at a very young age, so that sparked some creativity being able to pick out outfits for myself.

My family has a very artistic background, from music to art, so I feel that fashion was just something that clicked with me.

Where do you get inspiration?

Watching people in the streets, from magazines (Vogue, Glamour and Harper’s Bazaar) and other fashion blogs.

What is your favorite trend right now?

My favorite trend is wine-colored jeans. I really want to get a pair of those, wine colored anything, really.

What item can you not live without?

I have this military jacket with leather sleeves from ZARA that even if it’s hot outside, I’ll still bring it just in case. I love wearing it.

Who do you look to for fashion advice?

I really love Olivia Palermo’s style. She’s my favorite and I think she’s very professional. I love the way she pairs different prints together. She is very sophisticated, not too gaudy and flashy – simple but still makes a statement.

Favorite designer? Why?

Marchesa. They’re very feminine and whimsical, and their gowns are from a fantasy. Hopefully in the future I will get to own one.

Favorite place to shop? Why?

ZARA, because their pieces are affordable, stylish and well-made.

How did you get involved?

I sought out opportunities, but I do feel that retail club and fashion week do a very good job about advertising themselves on campus.

When I was going to be a freshman I looked over what clubs SMU had to offer and became interested in the Retail Club and I immediately emailed the contact director.

Are you involved on campus?

I am involved in SMU fashion week. I am the PR director and one of the executive chairs for this year.

My freshman year I was the fashion show coordinator for the Retail Club, and my sophomore year I was an executive chair of SMU Fashion Week and the president of the Retail Club.

Any advice for others who want to get more involved?

Getting the courage to just ask to be involved. Even if people don’t show that they need something, email them anyway. And this goes for not only clubs on campus, but for internships.

If you’re interested in working for someone [and] if they’re not saying they’re hiring an intern yet, email them anyway and show some initiative.

It makes you stand out from this crowd of people who want to do the same thing you do.

Do you have a blog or any other personal involvement?

I have my own blog right now, it’s www.RebeccaAMarin.blogspot.com. I started this blog just to showcase my personal inspirations. It’s fashion, lifestyle, food and music,and it’s all things I like.

I don’t have a cutesy name like most people do, because it’s for myself. It really embodies what inspires me. I’ve been blogging for over a year now.

Was your blog a class assignment or something you really wanted to do on your own?

I read so many blogs, and I just said I think I can do this.

Having a blog has been really helpful for me. I think for people who want to be in fashion industry having a blog is extremely important.

Everyone has a blog, which now makes it just a starting point. When going in to the field, you are expected to have it.

So what makes you different is something beyond that. I’ve been told that if you don’t have that online presence, you’re already falling behind.

What have been your favorite experiences in terms of fashion?

All of my internships have been amazing and I am very grateful for them because they have all taught me something different and have led me to where I am now.

After my first internship at LunaTeal Jewelry, I realized how much I love to work. And then I went on to work as a brand ambassador for Madewell.

This summer I interned for one of the market editors at Vogue.

How were you able to get internships related to fashion?

It was just a matter of reaching out. If I knew where I wanted to work but didn’t know who to contact, I would do my research. I’d look at their website or speak to someone I knew who had a connection.

What is the best experience you have gotten from your internships?

I’ve learned that it is important to work independently and not just work when people tell you to, and to take it seriously as if it were your career.

Any plans for post graduation?

I would love to pursue public relations. However my dream job would be to plan weddings. I am currently an assistant wedding planner at Sweet Pea Events.

Marin can be reached for comments at [email protected].