A message to students: give it back!

For years schools across the nation have been evaluated by the percentage of students who give back to their universities.

Student gifts go to an unimaginable array of funding designations scholarship, new furniture in buildings, alumni and campus monuments. Here at SMU, you have the unique ability to chose where you want your class gift to go.

This week, The Union is hosting its “Students Helping Students Resident Hall Challenge,” educating students about the power of giving. Representatives distributed “Pony Banks” to first-year students at the beginning of the year.

These students have been saving change to give back to SMU as a part of their $20.15 gift, representing the centennial class of 2015.

The importance of giving has never been more apparent during these financial times. Students gifts allow some of the four out of five students here on scholarship or financial aid to continue attending the university.

Student gifts help pay for building renovation, Perinea’s care, as well as funding for various student organizations like the Mustang 11, and scholarship funds for fraternities and sororities.

If you have not already done so, think about giving your class gift this week or during the upcoming Homecoming Challenge.

Designate your gift to an area of campus that you feel strongly for, and watch your gift go into action.

You can make a difference at this school one gift at a time. Drop off your Pony Banks by the resident halls this Thursday and Friday, or make your gift online at smu.edu/theunion today.

Michael Graves is a sophomore majoring in communications studies and religious studies. He can be reached for comment at [email protected]