The American Christmas spirit

I had heard about it and had notions about it, but when I arrived to the U.S. I could see firsthand the magnitude and depth of it: the American Christmas spirit.

Growing up in India, I was surrounded by many cultures, religions and customs, and I was invariably familiar with most aspects of Christianity. India has its share of lavish festivals too: Diwali the festival of lights when the whole country is lit up with lamps; Holi, the festival of colors when everyone paints everyone else with color; and many, many more.

Many of my best of friends were Christian and we would celebrate Christmas with as much fervor as anyone else in the world. I grew up in the part of India where the apostle St. Thomas had landed and made some of the oldest Christian churches in the world.

Yet, as with so much else, Christmas celebrations seem to be of a whole different caliber here. There are signs everywhere that proclaim how huge this is – how Christmas is more than just a festival or an auspicious religious event. It is a season in itself. When I first saw lights and decorations being put up for Christmas in the middle of November, I was surprised. It almost gives me the aura that winter is gone and now comes the season of Christmas.

So, all of a sudden, lights and effigies of reindeers come up at the most unassuming of places. Trees in my neighborhood, which I hardly even noticed before, are lit up in splendid celebrative lights. Shops and malls and almost all public places wear a festive face. Even an alien from Mars would notice that something is up – something huge.

One of the things I notice almost everywhere in Dallas, and heard being discussed repeatedly, is how much technology and plastic have invaded the traditional look of Christmas. When I saw the first ‘foldable Christmas tree’ with built-in decorations, I too had mixed feelings. Is allegiance to traditional procedures as much a priority as sheer convenience and easy access? How much of this festive image is really “Made in China”?

But the more time I spend here, the more I feel these questions do not matter. After all, it is the spirit that counts. All such ‘shortcuts’ have made Christmas celebrations more colorful and possible for many modest families.

My friends from Europe tell me how this spirit is celebrated, in ways that are both different and similar, in other parts of the West. Here I can see how, just like the English language, Christmas has become sort of a universal celebration. Back in India, I have known too many non-Christians who still celebrate Christmas by having cake and wine, but never really know the whole story of Lord Christ or what exactly transpired in those Christmas days as it is said in the holy Bible.

In fact, during my childhood, all I knew was that this day was the birthday of the Christian God and that Santa Claus would come with gifts. I still remember spending many nights wondering if Santa Claus would have time to visit India after he was done with the West.

This will be my first Christmas in the U.S. and I can hardly wait. As I cross a street outside SMU, I watch a Mercedes S-Class limousine go by which is dressed up as a reindeer and I smirk. That’s the spirit!

Sunil is a graduate student in the Lyle School of Engineering.