Job market panel advises graduates, undergrads

SMU’s Graduate Women’s Organization held an academic job market panel in Hughes-Trigg Wednesday, open to both graduate and undergraduate students.

The panel consisted of three speakers: Dr. Irina Dumitrescu, an assistant professor from the English department; Dr. Pamela Patton, an associate professor in the art history department; and Susan Kress who is SMU’s director of education abroad.

While each speaker was primarily knowledgeable and experienced in the academic job market, there was still plenty of advice given that was universal for anyone looking to find potential employment in any field.

Dr. Dumitrescu stated that it is good to look and be as least distracting as possible when going into an interview. She also told the dozen or so listeners in the Portico meeting room that doing good work is key, and one should focus on sending their work to places it will get attention.

“You always have to be thinking of the way you present yourselves in every moment,” Dr. Dumitrescu said. “These (job) networks are there even when you’re not looking for a job.”

Dr. Patton reiterated the stance that networks are always watching and that those entering in the process should specifically tailor their application to the job that they’re applying. Patton also agreed with Dr. Dumitrescu about appropriate attire.

“You don’t want people overly focused on how you look but on what you’re saying,” Patton said.

Kress, who was a university professor for 21 years before moving to administration, thought that it was best to look really hard for what the application is asking for and give extra information only if there’s a window that allows one to do so.

“You need to do your homework,” Kress said. “Go online and see how the people dress and get into the practice of doing interviews now.”

All three speakers stressed cultural differences in the workplace, both nationally and internationally. Being aware of these differences going into a job or interview is a key factor in the overall process and is especially important if someone is set on working outside of the U.S.

Julianne Sandberg, who is in her second year of a five to six year graduate English program, is the vice president of the Graduate Women’s Organization and found the panel very enlightening.

“I found that their advice on the first impression and how to best present yourself was most helpful,” Sandberg said.

Sandberg has yet to enter the job market but is looking ahead because entering the academic field can be a long process.

Jennifer Boulanger, also a member of the GWO, also found the panel helpful.

“What kinds of things are you allowed to be asking? What are employers looking for? They helped us answer these kinds of things today,” Boulanger said.