Human Rights deserves to be a minor

I consider myself a fairly unbiased reader. I read all publications that SMU students work hard to put out on this campus. I agree with some more than others because of my own political viewpoints, but still I read them all.

However, recently one article in the Mustang Post made me puke in my mouth and shake my head at what has gone from a conservative publication to literally bashing students who want to use the human rights minor to try and make a difference.

Titled “The Pathetic Nature of SMU’s Human Rights” journalist, (and I use the term lightly here,) Andrew Hemming goes on to bash the Human Rights minor SMU began offering this year.

Hemming claims that the new program is a “sham of a program” and SMU administrators should “put the money toward more pressing needs.”

Correct me if I am wrong, but educating students to be able to better themselves and others and, to quote from the SMU Human Rights Web site, “be socially responsible citizen[s] of a globalizing society,” is not only necessary amidst the violence and uproar of a chaotic 21st century, but commendable to all those exploring this brand-new program.

Hemming claims that no new courses are being offered and only one course actually deals with human rights. Wrong! Thanks for playing, though.

Along with all the courses taken from other departments that contribute to this program, ideas for classes have already been approved by the Human Rights advisory board, and are now waiting for approval from the prospective departments.

Students are also required to either complete a 20-hour service-learning placement with a human rights community-based agency, or will receive independent credit by participating in an SMU Human Rights Program group tour to a location where recent human rights violations have occurred.

As far as the program having only one class dealing with human rights, as the article claims, let’s make a small list: Along with Dr. Halperin’s History 3301 there is Anthropology 3301 Health Healing and Ethics, Anthropology 3327 Cultural Change and Globalization, Anthropology 3388 Warfare and Violence, History 3304 Blacks and the Civil Rights Movement, History 3401 The Good Society and Political Science 4337 Civil Rights, just to name a few.

But apparently since only one class is actually has “Human Rights” in the title, there’s only one class dealing with the subject.

Not only is that a flimsy argument, but what right does any publication have to say what does and does not constitute a class teaching about human rights, when, with all of these classes, the SMU board felt was worthy of the monetary stipend to get the program going?

Human rights are not the only type of rights this minor is trying to shed light on. The whole minor is a comprehensive program integrating civil, political, social, economic and cultural rights through classes offered in a wide array of departments here on campus.

And this program is not only offering classes and chances to serve the community. With the money apparently “wasted,” it offers travel opportunities, service opportunities, seminars and programs to educate all students and faculty on campus, human rights publications, scholarships, fellowships, community outreach and education for all in the SMU and Dallas communities.

In speaking to Rick Halperin, which is something Mustang Post neglected to do, he told me money was allocated within the grant for faculty course development, student travel and to bring speakers such as professors from other universities onto the SMU campus who want to speak to students and educate on human and civil rights.

But yes, Mustang Post, this is a completely pathetic program; it’s only trying to advocate equality for all citizens and trying to educate those about some of the heinous acts committed around the world everyday.

Perhaps some would like to stay hidden behind their rose-colored glasses, but some people live in the real world, and it’s not pretty. These students want to make a difference right now at a time in their life when they can.

Anyone intersted in talking to Dr. Halperin can contact him at (214)-768 3284 or e-mail him at [email protected].

About the writer:

Rachel Carey is a sophomore political science major. She can be reached at [email protected].