SMU looking to ‘fry the Frogs’

Ponies get ready for the next Battle for the Iron Skillet against rival TCU

It’s that time of year again: the time when Ponies grease their skillets, and Frogs stretch their legs.

The Iron Skillet will be awarded to tonight’s winning team in the long time SMU-TCU rivalry. 

The ESPN-televised, non-conference SMU vs. TCU match up will start at 7 p.m. in Gerald J. Ford stadium. 

TCU is currently ranked No. 4 in the AP poll. 

The Horned Frogs will be the highest ranked team that SMU has hosted since 1983 when the Mustangs played No. 2 Texas. 

Last Saturday, the Mustangs trampled the Washington State Cougars at Ford Stadium 35-21. 

SMU quarterback Kyle Padron completed 19 of 34 passes for 280 yards and four touchdowns for the win. 

The Mustangs are currently 2-1 this season, while the Horned Frogs are 3-0.

SMU has won five straight home games and is 7-2 in its last nine games, which is the best nine-game stretch SMU has seen since 1984 and 1985.

The Horned Frogs defeated the Baylor Bears last weekend 45-10. TCU quarterback Andy Dalton completed 21 of 23 passes for 269 yards.

The Frogs currently have 10 sacks, allowing only 135 passing yards per game. 

Last season, the rivals played in Fort Worth on Oct. 3. The then No. 11 ranked TCU defeated SMU 39-14. In 2009, SMU’s previous quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell threw two interceptions.  

TCU finished last year’s season 12-1, with their only loss to Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl, 17-10. 

SMU finished the season 8-5, including their first bowl game win in the last 25 years at the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl, where they beat Nevada 45-10.

TCU’s Dalton is one of the most active FBS quarterbacks. He has 32 victories under his belt, along with 48 career touchdowns. 

Eleven consecutive completions to start the TCU vs. Baylor game marked a career high for Dalton, the second-best in TCU history.

This is the first time that SMU’s Kyle Padron will play TCU, as he took over in the 2009 season after the Mustangs’ eighth game. 

He finished the year 5-1 and posted a 159.9 passer rating. This weekend’s game will be his ninth.

SMU calls for a “RED OUT” for Friday’s game, with hopes of ‘Filling the Ford.’

All Mustang fans are encouraged to wear red and show their support. This is the Mustangs’ third consecutive home game.

SMU has planned many pre-game activities, including four U.S. Air Force T-38s which will fly over Ford Stadium at the 7 p.m. kickoff for the DFW Duel Battle for the Iron Skillet.