Mustangs vs. Red Raiders

An old sports adage states that luck is merely when preparationmeets opportunity. If that holds true, SMU hopes to get luckySaturday when they travel to Lubbuck to open the season against theTexas Tech Red Raiders.

A summer of preparation may mean a positive start for a Mustangteam that could use the confidence that a win could instill.Saturday marks the opportunity the Mustangs have awaited for nearlya year. Last season, SMU came dangerously close to upsetting Techin Gerald J. Ford Stadium. It was a sellout crowd and the Mustangswere down 10-6 at halftime. The game was anyone’s until theRed Raiders sealed the 24-14 Raider win with an interception returnfor a touchdown.

SMU went on to lose its next five contests, while Tech gotstronger and ultimately beat Clemson 55-15 in the TangerineBowl.

The 2002 season opener was not one that players and fans want torecall. Navy, a team whose football program has struggled in thepast, came into Ford Stadium and handled the Mustangs easily. Headcoach Phil Bennett, entering his second season as SMU’ssideline leader, took the responsibility for last year’sfirst loss and believes his team is more equipped to start a veryimportant season.

“I think we’re more prepared and I think we’remore acclimated,” Bennett said. “Of course we’replaying a tougher opponent at their stadium. It’s a challengeand I feel we’re very capable of winning thisgame.”

SMU will need big games from several key performers in order totake down the Raiders. Sophomore quarterback Richard Bartel willstart in his first season opener. As much as big numbers, theoffense will need Bartel to be a leader f a unit that figures to bemuch-improved.

“It’s the quarterback position. Whether or not Iwant to lead, I get [that responsibility],” Bartel said.”All I’ve got to do is make plays and everyone elsewill follow.”

Lead or not, there is a good group of players lined up aroundBartel. Record-breaking running back Keylon Kincade has looked goodand shouldn’t see nine men in the box Saturday. His receivingcorp is small and quick and the much-anticipated return of seniorwideout Chris Cunningham will be a huge factor in SMU’soffensive success.

The first step to reversing last season’s misfortunes isto produce offensively and take care of the ball. SMU was 97th outof 117 teams in turnover ratio (-12) and changing that has to beginagainst Tech.

“We’ve got to be able to score and we’ve gotto be able to win the turnover battle,” Bennett said.

SMU’s plan for success isn’t complex. Coming soclose to beating Tech last season gives the Mustangs an idea of howclose they are, or have been, to where they want to be as ateam.

“We’ve got to do what we’ve been doing. Wecan’t go out there and screw around and give up bigplays,” Bartel said “We’ve got to make big plays.We’ve got to have some things that get the momentum on ourside.”

SMU’s defense, long the strength of the club, was solidlast season but was vulnerable to the big play. Playing against abig-play offense, SMU was stingy. The problem through the course ofthe season was mental; one big play affected SMU’s resolveand another usually followed.

“We just want to keep everything in front of us and notgive up big plays,” senior cornerback Jonas Rutledgesaid.

Rutledge will be key in doing just that, since Tech returns nineoffensive starters. Among them is all-purpose catalyst Wes”The Natural” Walker.

“They’ve got a playmaker in Wes Walker who’s agreat punt returner and kick off guy,” Bennett said.

Feeding Walker is senior quarterback and Kliff Kingsburysuccessor B.J. Symons. Symons completed 28 of 43 pass attempts for329 yards, five touchdowns and one interception in relief ofKingsbury last season.

Sophomore running back Taurean Henderson proved to be dangerousboth running and receiving, so he should challenged SMU’slinebacking club, a group that lost its anchor in Vic Viloria, buthas continued to make and stop plays.

The contest is also Tech’s season opener, so a selloutcrowd is expected. The Mustangs are going against a lot in Lubbockand will try to lean on what they’ve done this fall andsummer in order to handle the adversity.

“I don’t think you can [prepare for the crowd].I’ve never seen that before,” Bartel said.”It’ll be the biggest crowd I’ve ever played infront of. A lot’s going against us going there, sowe’ve got a lot of things to overcome. We can’t justget there and play well, we’ve got to play great.”

At least one player is looking forward to the crowd at Jones SBCStadium, which fits roughly 54,000 fans.

“I like playing in front of a big crowd. That’s whenI step my game up,” Rutledge said. “I’m lookingforward to it.”

Saturday’s game is the 43rd meeting between the twoschools. Tech leads the series 26-26. Kick off is set for 6 p.m. atJones SBC Stadium.