Cheap or Chic?

Finding a restaurant that fits your wallet is not a hassle any more

If you’ve got a taste for Mexican but have had your fillof Nachos Bel Grande, there are other alternatives; some of themnot too far from the Taco Bell price range. Also, even the greatestchicken lover can get a bit tired of Chick-Fil-A, and if dropping$6 on a combo meal is something you can do three times daily,gourmet poultry beckons.

Mexican

Cheap

Chipotle Mexican Grill

2705 McKinney Ave.

Sure you’ve seen the ads, but do you really know how bigthose burritos are? Rice, black beans, a variety of fixings,chicken or beef, topped with salsa that’s wrapped in a bigol’ flour tortilla is more than a mouthful. And ifyou’re a wimp and ask for mild salsa, be warned. The sauce onthe beef is still picante enough to make you want a drink as wellas a tissue for your runny nose.

Pricey

Javier’s  

4912 Cole Ave.

This 25 year veteran of upscale Mexican dining is a popularhaunt for visiting celebrities and the super-trendy. You might feellike you need a translator for all of the authentic dishes on themenu such as carne asada a la tampiquen, pechuga de pollo a laparrilla and barra de navidad. Make sure you bring the AMEX alongwith that translator since the least expensive entrée is the$16.95 fajitas de cabrito.

Asian

Cheap

Pei Wei Asian Diner

3001 Knox St.

This little brother of P.F. Chang’s was so popular thatseveral branch locations have opened across the metroplex. Thelunch and dinner crowds tend to opt for the honey-seared chickenand the Pei Wei spicy chicken. Try the Teriyaki bowl for only$6.50.

Pricey

Abacus

4511 McKinney Ave.

Upscale Asian dining at its best, Abacus garnered top rankingaccording to The Dallas Morning News, AAA, Mobile Travel Guide andWine Spectator. Simply sitting in the colorful and modern diningroom (think Cantoni) makes you feel cool. Experience sushi andsashimi tasting, lobster, artisan cheeses and “DaBombe” chocolate strawberry dessert.

Italian

Cheap

Mama’s Pizza  

17194 Preston Road

Grilled meatball sandwiches and pepperoni subs can be a welcomedchange from your old reliable pepperoni pizza. Don’t get uswrong, Mama’s takes pride in their pizza, but don’tmiss out on “Mama’s Sub” with pepperoni, Canadianbacon and cheese.

Pricey

Popolos  

707 Preston Road

We hear the pastas, pizza and salads are not to be missed. Getthe ambiance of classic Italian dining as Popolos uses awood-burning oven to make their gourmet pizzas. The staff wants youto feel right at home because they take pride in the factthey’re a neighborhood place. Stop by for live jazz on Fridayand Saturday nights.

Seafood

Cheap

Ronnie’s Catfish & More  

210 N. Broad St.

Yes, it’s a little farther outside of “thebubble” than some Mustangs like to go, but some patrons comefrom as far as Plano for Ronnie’s catfish and fries. Try thepork chop basket for $4.32, which has two chops, fries, a pickleand bread. Don’t forget to leave room for dessert.

Pricey

Oceanaire Seafood Room  

13340 Dallas Parkway

When the hostess answers the phone, she says “it’s agreat day at the Oceanaire Seafood Room,” and it usually is.After a rough afternoon of shopping at the Galleria, rest yourManolos in the deco-cool atmosphere and dine on Chilean sea bass,bluefin tuna or halibut T-bone.

Desserts

Cheap

Molly’s Frozen Custard  

5600 W. Lovers Lane, Suite 100

Frozen custard is made with more eggs than traditional icecream, which makes it thicker and creamier. It also has much lessfat than ice cream, so go ahead and indulge.

Pricey

Celebrity Cafe & Bakery

65 Highland Park Village

Pastries and cakes and scones, oh my. Celebrity Café hasbecome a celebrity in its own right. The family-owned chain hasseveral locations across the metroplex with roots in Highland Parkfor 15 years. With Divinity fudge cake, cinnamon rolls, coffee andso much more, get ready to become a regular.