Women’s soccer splits weekend games

The Mustangs defeated TCU in dramatic fashion Friday night at Westcott Field.
Stuart Palley

The Mustangs defeated TCU in dramatic fashion Friday night at Westcott Field. (Stuart Palley)

SMU women’s soccer redeemed themselves this weekend with an at-home win over TCU. The Mustangs defeated the Horned Frogs 4-3 in double overtime Friday night at Westcott Field. This win marks SMU’s 25th win against TCU. The teams have met 27 times, two of which resulted in ties.

TCU came out strong in the first half when Jackie Torda shot the ball past SMU goalkeeper, Ashley Gunter, in the 12th minute. SMU came back to tie the score in the 36th minute when Brittainy Vice received a long pass up the left side from Kristin Medeiros who passed the ball to the center to Lauren Sheppard, who then knocked the ball in off the left goal post.

The second half demonstrated a stronger offense and defense for the Ponies. Vice was credited with a go-ahead goal when TCU defender Caroline Starns directed the ball into TCU’s goal, putting SMU up 2-1.

“Brittany Vice was an outstanding player on Friday against TCU. She came into the game and changed it up, resulting in assists and a goal,” said teammate Jena Lind.

SMU’s defense came on strong in the second half, preventing many turnovers to TCU, and giving the SMU offense an extreme advantage over TCU in possession time.

Allison Brill scored an unassisted goal for the Mustangs in the 72nd minute, but TCU quickly responded by scoring from a corner kick in the 75th and 90th minutes, sending the game into overtime.

“The game was over, but a couple of small mistakes let them back in the game,” said head coach Brent Erwin

The first overtime was scoreless. SMU won when Caitlin Carter scored her first goal of the year, shooting the ball past the TCU goalkeeper.

Erwin could not have been prouder of his team. “This team shows guts after overcoming and early goal by TCU and winning in overtime,” explained Erwin.

After an exhilarating win, the Mustangs traveled to Oklahoma to take on the OSU Cowboys, but came away with an 0-2 loss.

The Cowboys scored two goals early in the first half, but Gunter shut out OSU the remainder of the game.

The junior goalkeeper had seven saves against the Cowboys, making it her second-highest total of the season. “OSU was a good team. We didn’t show up like we should have, but in the second half we did better,” explained Lind. “We need to get back to playing like we know how to play for Friday when we take on Sam Houston.”

The Mustangs record now stands at 3-2-1.

Women’s soccer will play at home Friday against Sam Houston State at 7 p.m.