Studying in the 21st century

Why professors need to accept Facebook as the study group of the future, today

These days, college students have a variety of options when preparing for exams. Some of us review our notes and readings. Some get together with classmates and quiz each other. And there’s an illustrious few who simply blow off studying and go out for a drink. But what if you took the initiative to make a Facebook group for you and your classmates to facilitate discussion and studying… and got punished for it? One Canadian student did just that.

Chris Avenir, a first-year chemical engineering student at Ryerson University, made a group on Facebook in which he and his 146 classmates discussed and swapped tips on chemistry homework questions. Though the group is no different than meeting up at the library with classmates to discuss homework, a professor charged Avenir with academic misconduct upon discovering the group. Overall, Ryerson charged Avenir with one count of academic misconduct for helping run the group and another 146 counts for every classmate who joined.

At the hearing, Avenir was told that, while he wouldn’t be expelled, he would receive a zero on the assignment section of the course – which was worth 10 percent of his final mark. Aside from that, Avenir will still pass the course on the condition that he attend an academic integrity seminar.

We feel that this is grossly unfair. It’s time for professors to wake up and realize that Facebook is where college students live now. Sure, its primary use is of a social nature, so there’s the inclination to not take it seriously. However, we also use it as a means of communication and interaction with our classmates far beyond what we usually gain in the classroom. We suppose we could use Blackboard, which professors seem to be okay with when they can figure out how to use it, but Facebook is simply easier and more convenient for students.

There is no difference between Avenir’s group and using the discussion boards on Blackboard or meeting with classmates at the library or ALEC. We’ve even had a few more progressive professors start Facebook groups themselves in order to promote discussion.

We realize the potential for online cheating is there, but give students a little credit. And anyway, if someone seriously wanted to cheat online, they aren’t likely to post it publicly in a Facebook group. They’re more likely to send a Facebook message or simply e-mail someone. Not that we want to give anyone any ideas.