Program Council promotes Balenciaga exhibition

Balenciagas elabroate creations are on display at the Meadows Museum of Art.
Marissa Trevino
Balenciaga’s elabroate creations are on display at the Meadows Museum of Art.

Balenciaga’s elabroate creations are on display at the Meadows Museum of Art. (Marissa Trevino)

SMU Program Council hosted a student soiree Tuesday at the Meadows Museum to promote its newest exhibition, “Balenciaga and His Legacy.” The Meadow’s exhibition showcases an atypical art form while keeping with the museum’s Spanish tradition.

The collection includes more than 70 pieces by the famed Spanish fashion designer, Cristóbal Balenciaga. Also featured are 20 works by prominent modern designers including Hubert de Givenchy and Oscar de la Renta, whom Balenciaga taught and influenced.

The soiree allowed intrigued students to study a variety of designs that included evening gowns, cocktail dresses, business suits, coats, shoes and hats.

“It’s nice to see the evolution of fashion,” junior Alicia Bullen said. “You see the typical elements of each decade but inverted in the way that couture was meant to be.”

After viewing the collection, students were able to share their thoughts while enjoying music, food and refreshments.

“He made it easy for vintage fashion to evolve into modern fashion,” freshman Jareth Embrey said. “His designs could be in style at any time.”

Freshman Karen Monroy believes that Balenciaga’s style is unique. “Each dress creates a character for the person who wears it,” she said.

The exhibition is hosted in partnership with the Texas Fashion Collection at the University of North Texas. Most of the displayed works permanently reside at the School of Visual Arts at UNT.

The show is on display until May 27.

Museum Information:Museum Hours: – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday – 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday – 12 to 5 p.m. SundayAdmission: – $8 for General Admission – Free to Children under 12 and Museum members- Free on Thursdays after 5 p.m.

For more information call (214) 768-2516.