Is America still relevant?

Statesman discusses US-Saudi relations

As the United States military pulls out of Saudi Arabia, and China begins to play a larger role in the Arabian Gulf, questions remain as to the relevance of America in the oil rich state.

Robert Jordan, former US Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, spoke at SMU Tuesday during the Tower Center’s event in the Meadows Museum.

Jordan discussed the shift and America’s applicability at this time.

He asked the question, “Is America still relevant?”

“Yes, and no, Jordan said. “In many sectors America is irrelevant and in some cases indispensable.”

Jordan led his presentation with a brief history of Saudi Arabia’s military relationship with the U.S., and then discussed the association between Saudi Arabia and China, which has been developing over the past 30 years.

This informational background set the tone for the rest of the presentation.

“Arms sales will continue. And we are still the ‘security umbrella.’ Education, knowledge, and management all pertain to America,” Jordan said.

SMU student Arnaud Zimmern found the historical information enlightening.

“I was surprised at the intimacy between Saudi Arabia and the U.S. It seems like they are very friendly with some tense moments,” he said.

Other students expressed interest in the rise of China as a regional player in the Middle East.

SMU sophomore Julianna Bond was interested in the historical background between Saudi Arabia and China.

“It’s something we are just hearing about now, but it is really interesting to see how Saudi Arabia has been connected to China really since the 1980s.”

Jordan told attendees the educational bond between the U.S. and Saudi Arabia remains strong, as there are now more Saudi Arabians studying in America than there were before 9/11, even as the Arabian Gulf states are looking for other geopolitical allies.

“The question even becomes, is the Middle East now less relevant to the United States?” the former ambassador said.

Jordan explained, however, that Saudi Arabia will never become irrelevant to the U.S. because of its strategic global positioning and wealth of natural resources.

“It’s really interesting to hear from a professional like Robert Jordan how everything is so uncertain, even with the best available information as the U.S. leaves with alternative energy, and China begins to move in,” SMU student Spencer Curtis said.

In the midst of uncertainty, Jordan is confident that while the U.S. may not be pertinent in the same manner as it has been in the past, America will continue to be important and involved.

“Saudi Arabia admires our innovations and our freedoms. We have one really significant thing going for us; we’re Americans, and all that entails.”