Women’s volleyball wins two of three

SMUs Stefanie Kons (No. 4) sets up the ball for teammate Kendra Kahanek (No. 7) during last Tuesdays matchup against UTSA.
Stuart Palley
SMU’s Stefanie Kons (No. 4) sets up the ball for teammate Kendra Kahanek (No. 7) during last Tuesday’s matchup against UTSA.

SMU’s Stefanie Kons (No. 4) sets up the ball for teammate Kendra Kahanek (No. 7) during last Tuesday’s matchup against UTSA. (Stuart Palley)

The volleyball team faired better than that of any other SMU sport this weekend, winning two of three matches in a tournament in New Hampshire.

The Mustangs started off the tournament against Syracuse. The Orange may have had a worse record coming in at 7-4, the Mustangs entering with a 8-3 record, but Syracuse gave SMU all they could handle.

It took the Mustangs all five sets to finish off the Orange. But with big games from Rachel Giubilato, Kathryn Wilkerson and Caitlin Rainbird, each earning double doubles, SMU was able to win the first, third and final sets to win the match.

After winning the first game the Mustangs struggled in the second, scoring just 17 points. It was a combination of Syracuse’s offense and the lack of offense from SMU. The Mustangs managed just a .024 hitting percentage in the second game, and averaged .218 going into the match.

The third game was easier as the Mustangs took it 30-19. The fourth was the closest of the night as the Orange squeaked out a two-point win. The Mustangs finished off the match with a 15-11 win in the abbreviated fifth game.

SMU earned its 10th win of the season in an easier match against Holy Cross. The Crusaders put up a stronger fight each game, but it wasn’t enough against the Mustangs. SMU won 3-0 and moved on to the final game against New Hampshire.

UNH took the same path to the final game as the Mustangs did, defeating Syracuse 3-2 and Holy Cross 3-0, pitting the two undefeated teams against each other in the final match.

The Mustangs were in each of the three games against the Wildcats, but were never able to pull out a win. New Hampshire out hit, dug and assisted the Mustangs en route to its victory.

Giubilato and Wilkerson once again achieved double doubles, and were subsequently named to the All-Tournament team.

The Mustangs will now prepare for their first conference matchup of the season on Friday night. The Mustangs will play C-USA preseason favorite, Marshall, at home for a national television audience.