Third down conundrum for Mustangs

Cory Muse is the anchor of the defensive line, a defensive line that will have to step up in Saturdays game.
John Schreiber
Cory Muse is the anchor of the defensive line, a defensive line that will have to step up in Saturday’s game.

Cory Muse is the anchor of the defensive line, a defensive line that will have to step up in Saturday’s game. (John Schreiber)

The Mustangs have struggled in a lot of ways this season. The defense has been almost nonexistent and the offense has not had the spark it had last season.

But there is one statistic that seems to stand out more than some others. Yes, the 1,340 yards passing and 125 points given up in three games is nothing to look past, but the Mustangs have been unable to convert third downs on offense or stop them on defense.

That equals a tired defense, and an offense that can’t put points on the board. SMU’s opponents have had the ball an average of six and a half minutes longer than the Mustangs have.

It’s not a pretty statistic. Going up against a tough TCU defense this weekend, the Mustangs are going to have to figure something out and fast.

The Mustangs achieve a first down just 33 percent of the time when facing a third down, but the defense allows opponents to convert 54 percent of the time.

SMU is actually better on fourth down conversions.

The Mustangs have converted three of four attempts and the defense has stopped all four of opponents’ attempts. But that’s not a number the Mustangs should rely on.

Opponents have run 51 more plays this season than SMU has, averaging .9 yards more per play, and averaging 177 more yards a game than the Mustangs do. The numbers don’t lie, and neither does the 1-2 record that SMU enters Saturday’s game with.

A good offense can be the best defense. With this year’s defensive struggles, the Mustangs need all the help they can get.

If SMU can convert on third downs and keep the offense out there it will help the defense, and be more likely to put points on the board, something else SMU has struggled with.

For example, the Mustangs finally got the ball to start the game against Arkansas State, something head coach Phil Bennett said was going to be the team’s plan if they won the opening coin toss. SMU couldn’t capitalize, went three and out and gave the ball to ASU, who did score on their first drive to take the lead for good.

Third downs aren’t the team’s only problem, but it looks like a good place to start fixing the others.