Volleyball starts conference games

Ole Miss Lauren Moffett (No. 20) spikes the ball past SMUs Caitlin Rainbird (No. 8) during a match at Moody.
Stuart Palley
Ole Miss’ Lauren Moffett (No. 20) spikes the ball past SMU’s Caitlin Rainbird (No. 8) during a match at Moody.

Ole Miss’ Lauren Moffett (No. 20) spikes the ball past SMU’s Caitlin Rainbird (No. 8) during a match at Moody. (Stuart Palley)

The Mustangs couldn’t ask for anything more in their Conference USA season opener. The game is at home, televised on CSTV and against Marshall, which is favored to win the conference.

The Thundering Herd had the Mustangs’ number last season, winning both matches including a 3-0 sweep in Moody.

But this year’s team has shown that it can win the big game. The Mustangs have defeated Texas Tech in Lubbock, Syracuse and Villanova. The Mustangs enter the game with a 10-4 record, while Marshall comes in with just a 7-7 record early in the season.

SMU is lead by Rachel Giubilato, Natalie Peters and Kathryn Wilkerson on offense. Each player has over 140 kills with Giubilato leading the team with 219 kills this season, averaging 4.76 kills a game.

Setting up the Mustangs all season has been Stefanie Kons. She accounts for 536 of the team’s 698 assists this season.

And Candice Davis, who is the only Mustang to play in every game of every match so far this season leads the team with 238 digs. Kendra Kahanek and Natalie Peters mind the net and have 47 and 33 blocks respectively.

After facing Marshall tonight, the Mustangs will head to East Carolina to play the Pirates on Sunday afternoon. Tonight’s game starts at 7 p.m.