New David Cronenberg film ‘Promises’ intensity

The new film from “A History of Violence” director David Cronenberg, “Eastern Promises,” is alternately brilliant and oddly familiar.

Focusing on an eastern European crime family, the film often seems like a London-based “Goodfellas.” But borrowing from Academy Award-winning director Martin Scorsese never hurt anybody, and it definitely doesn’t hurt Cronenberg here.

“Eastern Promises” tells the story of Anna Khitrova (Academy Award nominee Naomi Watts, “The Painted Veil,” “King Kong”), a midwife at a north London hospital. After being profoundly affected by the plight of a teenaged girl who dies during childbirth, Anna makes an attempt to find the baby’s family. Anna comes into possession of the girl’s diary, which is written entirely in Russian.

Anna turns to the owner of a London Trans-Siberian restaurant to help her translate the diary, without realizing that the man she is asking for help is Seymon (Academy Award nominee Armin Mueller-Stahl, “Shine”), head of the Vory V Zakone crime family.

Seymon’s son, Kirill (Vincent Cassel, “Ocean’s 13”), is tempermental and violent, often serving to hinder the family “business” more than he helps. Seymon therefore looks to Nikolai Luzhin (Viggo Mortenson, “A History of Violence,” “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy), the family’s driver, to defend the family’s name against the inquiries Anna presses upon them.

“Eastern Promises” is beautifully realized. The film paints a grim and tragic view of London through the lives of the characters it portrays.

The violence is such that the film can be difficult to watch at times. However, the story is so engrossing that you won’t want to look away for one second.

The script, written by Steve Knight (“Amazing Grace,” “Dirty Pretty Things”), is extremely tight. No scene feels too long as the time spent in the theater with these characters and their story seems to fly by.The story is compelling and determined, a strong depiction of violence and crime through drama.

Watts is moving in this film. She capably portrays an intelligent and lovely heroine who is inevitably flawed but trying to do the right thing. The romantic tension between her character and Viggo Mortenson’s character leaves a little something to be desired, but it doesn’t ruin the film by any means.

Mortenson is captivating as Nikolai, the tattoo-covered driver of the Vory V Zakone criminal brotherhood. Mortenson is both menacing and sympathetic, a perfect anti-hero. His performance in “Eastern Promises” is Oscar worthy, particularly in his scenes with Watts and Cassel.

Cassel seems to play the deplorable Kirill with ease. The character is easily loathed, and yet Cassel finds a way to make the audience feel something for him in the end.Armin Mueller-Stahl is fine as the charismatic head of the crime family, but it’s easy to forget him among the talent that surrounds him. He is easily upstaged in this film, although he turns in a very solid performance.

Maybe it’s unfair to make Scorsese comparisons when it comes to “Eastern Promises.” After all, any mafia movie is going to have familial loyalty themes and reflections on violence. What sets Cronenberg apart is his magnificent cast and beautifully bleak visuals.