Women’s hoops goes to TCU

SMUs Brittany Gilliam (foreground) tries to dribble past UTSAs Regan Burks (background) during the season opener at Moody.
Lizzie Brubaker
SMU’s Brittany Gilliam (foreground) tries to dribble past UTSA’s Regan Burks (background) during the season opener at Moody.

SMU’s Brittany Gilliam (foreground) tries to dribble past UTSA’s Regan Burks (background) during the season opener at Moody. (Lizzie Brubaker)

The SMU women’s basketball team heads to Ft. Worth for a cross-town competition against the Horned Frogs tonight. The Mustangs are 4-1 for the season and looking to claim bragging rights for this season’s match-up.

TCU is 2-3 so far this season, but that record is deceiving. The Horned Frogs have lost to Maryland, George Washington and Arizona, all very tough teams. TCU’s victories have come over in-state opponents Houston and Rice. The Mustangs’ schedule has not been quite as rigorous with opponents such as Bradley, Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin.

SMU is, however, having a strong season in terms of records. Junior post Janielle Dodds is a mere 28 points away from breaking the 1,000-point career mark and Head Coach Rhonda Rompola only needs one more victory to pass the 275 career-wins mark. Freshman forward Delisha Wills has scored double digits in all of the Mustangs’ victories this season.

TCU’s squad has junior guard Adrianne Ross, who leads the team with an average 17.8 points per game. Junior Lorie Butler-Rayford averages a team-high of nine rebounds per game. The Horned Frogs are shooting 38.1 percent from the field and 67.7 percent of their free throws so far this season.

In the 2005 match-up between the Mustangs and the Horned Frogs, TCU took the victory 79-68.

In 1997, the rivalry set NCAA records for the number of overtime periods (amounting to four) and the highest score by a losing opponent (TCU, 125). Tonight will be the 51st meeting between the rival squads with SMU leading 38-12. TCU has taken the win in five of the last six meetings, including the last four consecutive games. The series’ history began 30 years ago, during the 1976-1977 season.

Tip-off is scheduled for 7 tonight in Ft. Worth.