Owens has signing at SMU Bookstore

Terrell Owens, currently a wide receiver with the Dallas Cowboys, has already made a name for himself in the NFL. Now he is aiming to do the same in the field of literature.

Owens recently added Little T Learns To Share, the first of the “T.O.’s Timeouts” book series, to the list of books he has written, which include his two autobiographies, Catch This and T.O.

On Saturday, Nov. 25, Owens hosted a book reading and signing at the SMU Barnes & Noble bookstore. Children ages 10 and under were invited to hear Owens read Little T Learns To Share, the first of the “T.O.’s Timeouts” book series, at 11 a.m. in the children’s department.

About 15 children, most dressed in Cowboys gear, waited for T.O. in anticipation.

Owens, dressed in jeans and a pair of Air Jordans, made a casual entrance. Awkwardly seated on the reader’s chair seemingly too small for a pro-football player, Owens began reading.

Little T Learns To Share is a rhyming tale of how main character Little T learns to share his new football.

He first chooses not to share with his friends because he is afraid of damaging his new ball, but he quickly realizes football is a team sport and no fun when played alone. Little T invites his friends to play and the moral of the story is learned.

Following the reading, a question and answer session was opened to the children.

They asked about his interest in football and how he got into the NFL. Owens explained how “football chose [him]” because it was the sport he felt most comfortable playing and the sport he played best.

Immediately after the reading Owens began the book signing. Only copies of Owens’ books could be signed, but Owens did pose for pictures with fans during the signing. At 12 p.m., the bookstore had a drawing for a football jersey signed by Owens.

Around 100 people were there for Owens arrival, and fans continued to arrive throughout the hour keeping Owens busy at signing autographs.

Junior Jonathan Millstein was one of the dedicated fans in attendance.

“I have liked T.O. for years, so there was no way I was going to pass up on a chance to meet him,” Millstein said. “He was a really cool guy making small talk and joking with everyone he was signing books for.”