Senate focuses on task force

Dr. Tom Tunks and Dean Dee Siscoe discussed SMU’s Task Force on Substance Abuse Prevention at this week’s Student Senate meeting. They talked about the new programs being implemented to further the education and prevention of substance abuse on campus and addressed questions and concerns of senate members.

“The formation of this task force was after the tragic deaths last year. However, this was not the purpose for its formation. Last year’s tragedies prompted us to do this now,” Dr. Tunks said.

“The future of the Greek system sits within the Greek leaders,” Dean Siscoe said.

However many students are skeptical and critical of the task torce. There were many questions and concerns regarding Greek Life.

“I encourage you to realize that this not a Greek problem,” Senator Charles Slick said to Dean Siscoe.

Senator Patrick Kobler says that he had heard people complain about officers inside Greek houses during meal times, while students are watching television, and some feel that this is an invasion of privacy.

“I know that the Greek community feels that it is being attacked by the task force. You really need to reach out to them. Do you think that through this task force we will be taking a realistic look at alcohol use?” asked Senator Mike Montesi.

Chief of Staff Jonathan Lane voiced his annoyance with the answers given by Tunks and Siscoe, “I am very disappointed with the speakers today. We need to make sure we are holding them accountable.”

New this year is the Because I Care program. It provides students with the information and training they need to help their peers who are abusing alcohol and drugs. SMU has also hired Megan Knapp to work with students on a variety of health-related topics. Dr. Tunks and Dean Siscoe and all members of the Task Force encourage students to visit the Live Responsibly link on the SMU homepage to learn more about the Task Force. The Web site is also setting up a blog for students to voice their suggestions, concerns and questions anonymously regarding the issue of substance abuse.

President of College Hispanic American Students Joe Carreon announced that in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month his organization will host a speaker on Thursday Sept.13 from 12p.m – 2p.m in Hughes-Trigg.

President Katherine Tullos inaugurated those senate members who did not attend the spring retreat this past weekend. Tullos also announced that the Dedman dean search should be completed by March. Tullos also announced the upcoming Senatorial Forum speakers: on Sept. 18 Provost Ludden, and on Oct. 2 Vice President for Business and Finance Christine Casey.

Vice President Bethany Peters talked about the Silent Witness program that allows students to anonymously report criminal activity or other emergencies. A peer hotline is being started as another way to help tackle any issues students may have.

Chair Kobler announced that the Comment Box is now mounted by the Mane Desk in Hughes-Trigg. The box is for suggestions and concerns students have for the senate. A Town Hall meeting will be held Oct. 25 at 3:30 p.m. The location is not yet known. Kobler spoke with Police Chief Shafer, and the Good Samaritan Law will be discussed during Friday’s Task Force meeting.