Super Bowl parties sack recession

In the year since Eli Manning led an improbable comeback against the goliath-like Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, Americans have been hammered by bad economic news. A year later, amidst one of the deepest recessions in U.S. history, American culture prevailed in students over the harsh economic conditions and Super Bowl parties thrived Super Bowl Sunday.

“Those parties I am pretty sure would happen no matter how bad times are,” Senior Ian McFarland said. “We had everybody bring something to spread out the burden.”

The Super Bowl brings out the best football teams, commercials and parties to watch both. Since the inception of the Super Bowl in 1967, friends have gathered to enjoy the spectacle.

“I can remember Super Bowl parties back when I didn’t even understand football,” University of North Texas student Kyle Norbert said. “It is a tradition, I can’t really imagine a year without one.”

Trays full of chicken wings, pizza, burgers and a random assortment of junk food is the usual scene at the party table, and a rough economy wasn’t enough to stop students from celebrating the American tradition this year.

Norbert said the game tradition is incredibly important at a time like this.

“Now more than ever you have to keep up traditions like this. This is an important event that can help take your mind off of whatever is weighing you down, just a good time with friends,” Norbert said. “Money shouldn’t be an issue with that.”

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell agreed.

“For people who’ve lost their jobs, can they continue to afford to come to an NFL game, or to any other event?” he said in his state of the game address. He added: “I also believe, very firmly, that in a time like this, the NFL can become an extremely invaluable escape for people.”

Several students interviewed said that the economy played no impact on their plans for the big game get together. Spending an average $57 on food and other accessories, they said there was no decline what-so-ever from their previous year’s spending.

“I would say this event might be recession-proof,” Norbert said. “Job or not, money or no money, you can always find a party to go to and bring a bag of chips.”

Second-year art history student Ailie Pankonien said her party was bountiful, plenty of food to go around.