Taxi services protest at Love Field, causes chaos, frustration

SPENCER EGGERS /Daily Campus
Dallas Police block the entrance to Love Field Airport after Monday evening’s protest, keeping most taxis from entering.

Dallas Police block the entrance to Love Field Airport after Monday evening’s protest, keeping most taxis from entering. (SPENCER EGGERS /Daily Campus)

Taxicabs blocked the drive into Dallas Love Field Airport Monday to protest a new rule that allows natural gas-powered cabs to automatically go to the front of the pick-up line.

This rule is in effect for the Super Bowl, frustrating local cab companies.

The Association of Taxicab Operators in Dallas began their protest around 5 p.m., parking their vehicles in the pick-up lane at the airport.

Ambassador cab driver Abdul Ahmed said, “This country is a beautiful thing—First come first serve. We don’t want to be a slave. We need our freedom. That’s why we are doing this, for a system change.”

Cab drivers walked and chanted, “What we need? Justice! When we need it? Right now!”

Currently, Yellow Cab is one of the only taxi services in Dallas that meets the Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) requirements passed by the City Council in an effort to make Dallas air cleaner.

Rashid Mohamud, a driver with the Freedom Cab Company, said, “We can’t afford [to make the switch]. It’s $120 a day.”

Travelers arriving and departing from Love Field were frustrated and confused by the chaos.

Dan Shank, a resident of Florida who had flown into Dallas Monday evening, was surprised and outraged at how the situation was handled.

“Cops are watching [the drivers protest]—you gotta be kidding me. Old women are being frisked, but they are letting the taxis sit here,” Shank said.

Taxis refused to transport people, but airport shuttles, such as Hertz, were willing to take people to their destinations.

The protest started to settle down around 6 p.m. as more police arrived on the scene, blocking the entrance to the airport and arresting taxi drivers who refused to move their vehicles.

“We are not greedy people. We are here to serve you,” Ambassador cab driver Michael Abraham said.

Taxi cabs were prevented from entering the Love Field airport in Dallas by Dallas police Monday evening after taxi drivers spend the day protesting an ordinance that allegedly gives preference to taxi companies that operate natural gas vehicles. (MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus)