Law students press for crosswalk

Late-night studying and worrying about how to pass the bar examare some of the main concerns of SMU law students. But for the pastfew years, crossing the street safely has been another one.

SMU’s Student Bar Association Issues Committee hasconcerned itself with the safety of law students crossing DanielStreet to the Law School parking garage. The committee feels that,something must be done.

“If you’ve ever been driving or walking by the [LawSchool] garage, you know what kind of nightmare it is,”second-year Law School Senator Peter Schulte said. “Wehaven’t had any accidents or injuries yet, but there’sbeen some close calls.”

Even with these close calls, the projected crosswalk has metsome obstacles.

The city of University Park would have to come up with around$250,000 to fund traffic management and changes that would have tobe made, including the cost of new pavement and other suchexpenses. SMU and University Park would have to meet somewhere inthe middle with the money.

“We know that the city won’t discount safety, but itis a busy intersection, and any obstruction can back up traffic inmany directions,” Financial Services Director Roland Webbsaid.

Webb has been working alongside Leon Bennett, theuniversity’s vice president for Legal Affairs, to review theinitial plans for the proposed crosswalk.

The nearest crosswalk is on the corner of Hillcrest and Daniel,away from where students coming in and out of the garage cross tothe Law Quad near the eastern side of Storey Hall.

With around 500 parking spots in the garage, some feel that evenwith the expense, the crosswalk is a legitimate request.

“Although we’ve been lucky and haven’t had anaccident yet, the first one we do have will cost at least $1million in legal costs,” Schulte said.

“Our thought is that people are crossing there anyway, whynot put in the crosswalk?” SBA Issues Committee PresidentKenneth Sheets said.

Yet Sheets feels positive that this year will be the year thatthe crosswalk issue materializes.

“It is the committee’s main goal to get it done, andit looks like it will happen,” he said.