From abroad, with love

Study Abroad synopsis to accompany student paragraphs

It’s common knowledge that most of what a college studentlearns during his or her undergraduate career takes place outsideof the classroom. A student learns how to live independently, howto get along with a roommate, and how to maximize the amount ofmoney in a bank account.

But more than 400 students last year had a classroom experiencethat some said changed their lives. SMU offers 20 Study AbroadPrograms in 12 countries. The programs vary in length. Summer,semester and year-long programs are available for students.

While a good number of students studying abroad are juniors, anumber of sophomores and seniors also participate, said KarenWestergaard, assistant director of the study abroad program.

Emily Robards,

SMU-in-London

Although I had never been to Europe, I was not nervous. Icouldn’t wait to experience all of Great Britain. I wasfortunate enough to also travel with five of my best friends.

My eyes were opened to a culture that speaks the same languagebut is very different. I learned most importantly a new pride formy country. Things that we take for granted like air conditioningand stores staying open after 7 p.m. were such luxuries there.

While I enjoyed the history and tradition of Great Britain, theconveniences that America offers are unparalleled.

Overall, I learned that the world is a very large place and thatI can do things on my own. Just exploring the streets of London wasa life lesson in itself. This summer was full of unforgettableexperiences and treasured memories.

Katie Nicholson,

SMU-in-Italy

Spending the summer abroad in Italy was definitely one of themost memorable, rewarding and life changing experiences of mylife.

Being away from home and all things familiar to me really taughtme a lot about myself. I definitely learned much more on the tripthan just what I studied in my classes.

For me the summer abroad was incredible because I am an arthistory major, and Italy is the center of the world for art. It wasamazing to see first hand all the masterpieces I had studiedbefore.

The teachers on the trip were fabulous, and I learned so muchabout Italian history, culture, and art.

We all grew so much together traveling on the weekends, touringmuseums, eating pasta and drinking wine, going to class and havingan overall amazing experience.