Mustangs look to first win on Saturday

Two bitter teams prepare mix it up tomorrow in Waco when SMUtravels South to take on the Baylor Golden Bears. The Mustangs havehad plenty of time to marinate in their season-opening loss toTexas Tech, and they are looking forward to the opportunity toatone for the disappointing loss in Lubbock.

Baylor (0-2) is also looking for its first win. Withseason-opening losses to the University of Alabama-Birmingham(24-19) and North Texas (52-14), Baylor has as much or more on theline than the Mustangs.

SMU’s 58-10 loss to Texas Tech mirrored that ofBaylor’s loss in Denton. Both teams struggled to producepoints, albeit for different reasons. SMU has to cut down on itsmistakes — surrendering 100 yards on 12 penalties whileturning the ball over four times (three interceptions, one fumble).Baylor doomed itself from the beginning with six first halfturnovers.

Both teams are all but desperate for a win. The Bears’hopes of a turnaround would be damaged badly by a 0-3 start. TheMustangs face the danger of reliving last year if they can’tget over the mental hump of the first win.

Having had its bye week last Saturday, SMU has had two weeks toprepare, a situation that has both advantages anddisadvantages.

“After a performance like the first game, when thingsdidn’t go too well,” senior wide receiver ChrisCunningham said, “you want to come out and play as soon aspossible for a chance to redeem yourselves.”

Cunningham, in his first game since suffering a season-endingfoot injury during the 2002 campaign, caught six passes for 53yards against Texas Tech. SMU receivers and sophomore quarterbackRichard Bartel gained 195 yards through the air. Bartel completed21 of his 44 pass attempts, but the offense never seemed to findits rhythm. The Mustangs were not able to get into the end zoneuntil the beginning of the fourth quarter when senior wide-out MattRushbrook caught a 5-yard touchdown pass. The Mustangs can’tafford another offensive lapse, nor can they let Baylor’sdefense dictate a game.

“We have to stay focused,” Cunningham said.”We’ll make some good plays and we’ll make somebad plays. We just have to keep the bad ones to a minimum, stayfocused and try to capitalize off of their mistakes.”

The Bears’ mistakes continue to pile up on and off thefield. A program that has been in the public for all of the wrongreasons this summer, Baylor and its coaching staff knows that asuccessful season could shed a positive light on the university.Head coach Guy Morriss has made it a point not to shelter hisplayers from negativity associated with things they have no controlover.

“They’re hungry this week, too.” Cunninghamsaid. “They’re coming off a pretty bad loss, so this istwo hungry teams going against each other. Someone has to win andsomeone has to lose. Hopefully the winning team will beus.”

SMU and Baylor will both take their seats Saturday at 6 p.m. atFloyd Casey Stadium in Waco. With two weeks since they last touchedthe competitive field, the Mustangs are starving for another shotto fill the win column.