Dr. Phil a fraud, protestors say

Dr. Phil a fraud, protestors say
Dr. Phil a fraud, protestors say

Dr. Phil a fraud, protestors say

SMU police officer Sgt. Tinsley asked a protestor to leave the front of McFarlin Auditorium Sunday afternoon because the protestor was offending people attending a political fundraiser.

The fundraiser for County Judge Margaret Keliher featured speaker Dr. Phil C. McGraw of “Oprah. ”

The protestor, Grant, said he was stating his belief that any healing provided by Dr. Phil is fraudulent.

“No man can know and heal the pain of another man’s soul,” Grant said. “Only God can do that. Dr. Phil’s just in it for the money. [Phil] claims to understand what motivates people because of his psychology background. He can’t even claim that honestly, since he no longer practices his

trade. He’s a spokesman on ‘Oprah.'”

One male spectator said maybe Grant had a valid point in his criticisms while another told Grant to “Get a life”.

Shortly after this, Grant was asked to leave. He circled around the auditorium and continued protesting.

Grant was then joined by two other protestors.

“We’re not protestors,” said Rhett, another picketer. “We’re witnesses for God. My friend Mark on the other corner there had a lot of problems. He wanted to get his life together and marry this girl. He sought professional medical help and they really messed with his mind. Finding the Lord straightened him out.”

Mark Francis said that he just wanted to give God’s view of how things

are.

“Kids turn to medicine for a quick fix and get really messed up,”

Francis said. “All that stuff is unnatural. Only God has the answer.”

“We’re just trying to spread God’s word,” Grant said. “If they don’t want us to share the word of God on a religious campus, that’s their prerogative.”

No one from Keliher’s Campaign Headquarters was available for comment. Neither was Sgt. Tinsley.

The event at McFarlin was closed to media. Tickets were not available for purchase.

Although McGraw is listed as a supporter of the Republican candidate, he is generally paid between $10,000 and $20,000 per visit by the speaker’s bureau that he associates with.